Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am collecting parts for the install of my cooling components electric fan. It has huge current draw on startup and I need to find a 70 amp relay. All the relays I can find that are rated this high are not sealed. If I cannot find a sealed one I want to buy what will be the most reliable. I use the Hella waterproof relays in my other applications but they do not have the current capacity. Thanks in advance for any help

·
6,502 Posts
Could you buy an enclosure to house a particular relay and have the wires exiting out the bottom ?. I've seen enclosures with seals on them and then one could put it on a pass through connector that is sealed as well for the wiring.

I too have seen people run two 30/40A relays in parallel to double the capability BUT at the cost of double amount of connections which could cause issues if not done well.

Jim

·
Registered
878 Posts
Type this into Amazon:
MG Chemicals 832HD Black 1:1 Epoxy Encapsulating and Potting Compound, 25 milliliters Dual Dispenser

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
85 amp continuous duty solenoid Cole Hersee Part number 24059BX

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I used the Painless 70 amp relay kit. It said to mount the relay as close to the fan as possible so they are obviously intending for it to be out under the hood.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just curious, what is the full load current of the fan, after startup? IMO, you shouldn't have to rate the relay for the total in rush start up amperage. Maybe 125% of the full load running amperage. That's how it's done in the AC world, but maybe D.C. is different. If you run a 70 amp relay, what size wire will you feed this circuit with?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I am collecting parts for the install of my cooling components electric fan. It has huge current draw on startup and I need to find a 70 amp relay. All the relays I can find that are rated this high are not sealed. If I cannot find a sealed one I want to buy what will be the most reliable. I use the Hella waterproof relays in my other applications but they do not have the current capacity. Thanks in advance for any help
Hello,
If you go to the site for EC&M magazine you will find multiple sources for all voltages and sizes of relays. These are used in industries such as the utility industry and nuclear industry. There are multiple manufactures listed and distributors.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Check with watsons streetworks. That is the place a lot of streetrods buy electrical parts. He wrote a book on relays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts