Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

been looking for 4bts for a while now and no luck. I decided early on I didn't want to buy privately as I would sleep better knowing I have a warranty. do you guys have any suggestions?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
If it's what I'm thinking, it's a little esoteric. If I'm wrong, at least I took a stab at it.

A friend of mine is looking at 4BTs for converting a late 60's Dodge pickup. He was debating whether or not to get one out of a running, driving truck or get a rebuild from a bunch of possible suppliers. A 4BT is the 4 cylinder version of a Cummins 6 cylinder 12V out of a Dodge pickup. It's a smaller 4 cylinder diesel that's lighter, better on fuel and torquey.

Maybe that's not it, and we're talking about $.50?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
ally.... i just looked it up on goggle. an that just what it looks like to be a 4 cyl diesel by cummins. good as long as it doesn't stick like a diesel.

·
13,678 Posts
Seems a little strange to be looking for a Cummins diesel engine on Stevesnovasite. Maybe planning on putting it in a Nova:D?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
There is a site called 4BT swaps. That's all they do: how to swap this bulletproof engine into anything but the bread trucks they came in. Great for rock crawlers, etc.

I'm interested in a small diesel swap into an early Nova, just for daily service. Too bad the VW diesels didn't mate to a rwd transmission in any of their cars, or it might be easier. 140HP/236 ft./lbs of torque and much lighter than a stove bolt six, the mileage would likely be 30 mpg plus. Certainly no more a polluter than an I6, the power plant would weigh less as well.

Don't think that any of the big 3 were considering diesels during the gas crunch? Then you haven't seen a 1974 Diesel Dart:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/314104-1974-dodge-dart-diesel/

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
As it would happen, I just saw a Jeep CJ last week that had a 4BT Cummins transplanted into it. He pulled into the parking spot next to me at the local Wendy's and from the sound of it, I knew it was a diesel, so I asked him and he popped the hood for me to see. Kind of a sloppy conversion job, but apparently it does what he wants.
I kicked myself later for not getting a couple of pictures of it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
There's a second gen wagon with a regular Duramax with twin snails. Look it up on YouTube. I own a 2007 LBZ duramax that's been chipped, for a 6000lb truck it freaking rips. Couldn't imagine it in a light Chevy II.

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
Love that idea! I wonder what one of those engines in a crate would set someone back. Better to pull one from a wrecking yard to pirate everything you needed. Also RWD, so that just might be the ticket. RPM is higher, but the power numbers are right with my '96 12V cummins. I think a wagon would be perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts