Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find 2” drop mounts? I guess I need the mounts and spacer blocks if I am correct.
Thanks

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,006 Posts
Wouldn’t it just be blocks and U bolts ? I don’t remember how the stock one bolts up. Can pretty much get the blocks anywhere.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If you have an 8.2 mono leaf axle the saddles on the axle don’t have any provisions for the locating pins which usually are on most leaf springs. The leaf springs will still locate on the lower plate but the blocks won’t continue with the locating pin above the axle. I had picked up a lowering block kit similar to the kit posted up by Rebob but I decided against using it as I was uncomfortable with the locating pin issue. I had my leaf springs de-arched 2” and that lowered the rear of my car.
FBA741A6-16BF-4F50-9E59-0B949B9C95A8.png

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nova Thug. Mine is mono leaf, but what does the 8.2 stand for? Also, are the saddles the same for mono or multi leaf? As you can see, I'm a novice at this rear end stuff.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn’t it just be blocks and U bolts ? I don’t remember how the stock one bolts up. Can pretty much get the blocks anywhere.

Thanks Rebob. I think that is exactly what I need.
Rob

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you try typing in a search for that exact thing on the net? Try it......
Bob, I am a novice at this and I don't know if I was asking the right question or what the actual parts are called. I thought this was a place that I could post questions and good people would take time out to answer questions like mine. If you don't want to answer any questions of mine, just ignore it. As it looks like I wasted your valuable time.
For all of you who take the time to answer questions from novices like me, thank you!
Rob

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would help to see how your springs are attached. You should be able to copy and paste a pic. I’m sure the Thug has better info on the stock stuff. I ripped the stock stuff out 12 years ago, I’m old and can’t remember crap ! 😁
I took mine out already so I can’t show you how it was. It had mono leafs but the owner put a 12 bolt in just half hazard as he didn’t know what he was going to do yet. The car was a roller without a motor.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have an 8.2 mono leaf axle the saddles on the axle don’t have any provisions for the locating pins which usually are on most leaf springs. The leaf springs will still locate on the lower plate but the blocks won’t continue with the locating pin above the axle. I had picked up a lowering block kit similar to the kit posted up by Rebob but I decided against using it as I was uncomfortable with the locating pin issue. I had my leaf springs de-arched 2” and that lowered the rear of my car. View attachment 408506
Where did you have it de-arched? Looking into lowering springs too. Not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it not wise to go with lowering blocks performance wise? I am going run a 480hp LS3 with a Tremec 5 Speed.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Is it not wise to go with lowering blocks performance wise? I am going run a 480hp LS3 with a Tremec 5 Speed.
Lowering blocks are ok to lower the car but they ad distance from the leaf springs the the axle and that creates additional leverage to the axle which causes axle wrap up and can also exaserbate wheel hop in hard launch situations like in drag racing.. Stock mono leafs already have a fairly light spring rate and deflection is going to be a likely issue with the stepped up 480hp you’re looking to drop into the car. It really depends on how you intend to use the car. There are a couple of ways you can go but lowering blocks would be more of a cruiser type approach.. If your stepping up the drivetrain to nearly 500hp levels I’d look for another solution.

What are your intended uses for the car..?

An 8.2 inch axle is a 10 bolt axle that were delivered in the 64 -72 Chevy passenger cars with lower performance engines. You have a indicated that your car came to you with a 12 bolt axle. Is it a Nova 12 bolt..?

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought you just had a stock cruiser. Would definitely redo your springs or get new ones with some Caltracs. Or if you plan on putting some tire under it in the future , might want to consider some type of 4 link for more room.
I’m going with 10” wheels with 275/40/17 tires. I was going to go 4 link until I read about the problems with quarter panels dimpling.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lowering blocks are ok to lower the car but they ad distance from the leaf springs the the axle and that creates additional leverage to the axle which causes axle wrap up and can also exaserbate wheel hop in hard launch situations like in drag racing.. Stock mono leafs already have a fairly light spring rate and deflection is going to be a likely issue with the stepped up 480hp you’re looking to drop into the car. It really depends on how you intend to use the car. There are a couple of ways you can go but lowering blocks would be more of a cruiser type approach.. If your stepping up the drivetrain to nearly 500hp levels I’d look for another solution.

What are your intended uses for the car..?

An 8.2 inch axle is a 10 bolt axle that were delivered in the 64 -72 Chevy passenger cars with lower performance engines. You have a indicated that your car came to you with a 12 bolt axle. Is it a Nova 12 bolt..?
The 12 bolt was from another car that the previous owner put under it figuring he was going to install it in the future. This car is a roller. I don’t know what car it came from. The width with the wheels he had on it looked right. I can measure it tomorrow.
Besides lower leaf springs and 4 link, what other choices do I have To drop the rear 2” like the front?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
How are you going to be running this car..? Is it going to be a street/strip car, a cruiser, pro touring style..? The 2” drop is secondary to the application..

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s going to be a street only pro touring style car. Not to be tracked. I want the 2” drop for the looks mostly. Getting TCI front clip with 2” drop spindles.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I’m going with 10” wheels with 275/40/17 tires. I was going to go 4 link until I read about the problems with quarter panels dimpling.
Are you going to be Mini tubbing the car..? 10” wheels with 275/40/17 tires probably won’t work in the stock wheel houses.. Also, 66/67s with 4 links haven’t been as susceptible to the buckling quarter panels as first gen cars with the bolt in kits...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts