Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HT383 with 1.6 rockers, RPM air gap and Demon 750 vac secondary. 1 5/8 long tube headers to 3" exhaust. Tko 600 tranny and 3.42 rear diff. Car has all new hotchkiss suspension and some cheap slapper bars I should probably throw away... So with slicks what do ya think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ht 383 is a pretty mellow set up. 9:1 compression GM crate rated at 330ish hp stock and 430is ftlb. The intake and 1.6 rockers etc supposed to take it up to about 370is hp and 470is ftlb. Probably only revving to about 5k or slightly more GM says red line is 6K?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I have a HT383 with 1.6 rockers, RPM air gap and Demon 750 vac secondary. 1 5/8 long tube headers to 3" exhaust. Tko 600 tranny and 3.42 rear diff. Car has all new hotchkiss suspension and some cheap slapper bars I should probably throw away... So with slicks what do ya think?
The intake and vacuum carb is going to hurt you. The tranny isn't going to help unless you're real good at it. Put cut-outs in the exhaust (this is cheap to do) and open them up when at the track. You won't need slicks to run 12's but good street tires are a must.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
That motor in stock form is a torque motor. That intake is not hurting him at all. Its adding to the low end. On a 600 hp 406 an RPM air gap barely lost any hp on top and made substantially more low end than the vic jr. This is on Dr J's website.

IMO dont change anything just work on your launch technique and shifting and see what she runs. Get a good street drag radial before you go to the track so you have a chance at hooking up.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
My 66 with Afr headed 383 runs low 11's. Had to put Mech stop on because of no roll bar. When I tried slowing the car down it went faster !! May run even better if I could hook tires and launch at higher RPM. Leaving now at 3000 and shifting at 6500. Liberty faceplated TKO 600 !!! Car is heavy weighs 3350 with me in it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
My 66 with Afr headed 383 runs low 11's. Had to put Mech stop on because of no roll bar. When I tried slowing the car down it went faster !! May run even better if I could hook tires and launch at higher RPM. Leaving now at 3000 and shifting at 6500. Liberty faceplated TKO 600 !!! Car is heavy weighs 3350 with me in it.
Hoping to do the same with mine. I run the Performer RPM intake w/1" open hole spacer.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Hi Greg. I have an Air Gap for my 65 and I'm looking to run around 6500. Should just about do it. i'm running a small solid cam also with a 355. Looking for low 12's, high 11's. Going to be swapping out engines over the winter. Dave

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have a Performer RPM Air Gap on my 355 pulls great to 6400.....

i am guessing a high 12 low 13
I have the Performer RPM w/1" open hole wooden spacer on mine. Mine is all based around 6500 rpms, but I had it to 6700rpms and it was still pulling.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Watch out, many of those spacer will acctually hurt your performance rather than help. We tested Many over the years. Just because it worked well on a dyno or on someone elses build, it may not work on yours.

And some will work better than others.

And if you ever switch to an auto to be more consistant, hit me up about your TKO 600 . I may be in the market for one soon for my street toy. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
If anything, traction will be your issue due to it being a torque motor. You set on slicks or open to drag radial.

That setup should be good for low-mid 12s depending on your tune. Any idea what air fuel ratios you're running at WOT throughout the RPM band?

I'm sure that you would benefit from more cam though, from what I hear the HT383 cam is extremely mild. The 1.6 rockers will help that some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a bunch of new gauges and all new wiring. Wide band air fuel says about 13:1 at WOT. With the old tires still on there is a significant traction problem and my slapper bars are not helping either. Cal tracks and at least some cheater slicks should help a ton. No track time yet, but the car pulls very hard through the gears from bottom of RPM up to about 5300 or so. Feels fast than a friends 13.5 sec mustang - we'll see. There is still a dozen problems or so to sort out - never ending project.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Just make sure you have some good tires on the back and you'll do pretty good I'm sure. I'd get a drag radial on there at a minimum. With all that torque down low with that motor you wont do crap with street tires except put on a smoke show.

I'm sure you can hit the 12's if everything is running right and you have traction.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts