Chevy Nova Forum banner

LOKAR shifter is IN!!

17K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  450HP 
#1 ·
What do you think??:)
I dyed the boot to match the upholstery and made a special wood mount for under the carpet to mount the billet trim ring. It came out easier than I thought. Looks ultra clean and works like a dream. I dig it!! :D
NOTE: what I did with the steering column nub!:rolleyes:
It's one more thing chaulked off my list!

See less See more
#6 ·
mojogator said:
Nice work Funky - BEYOOTIFUL!!
Greg I got your suspension parts broke down and boxed today. You will have to cut the nut off the tie rod end on one of the spindles. The nut got stripped. I'll just send it with the package.:D All you'll need is a torch to get the nut off.:D
I'll keep you posted as to when you should recieve it.

Dave

#7 ·
Thanks guys.

Here is the recipe for installing your trans tunnel mount lokar shifter in a second gen with a bench seat:

Scoot your seat up all the way forward. Pull shifter back in 1st gear. sit shifter CENTER on floor a few inches from seat when in first gear. See below.

Looks good around this position:rolleyes: ...so....go get your marker.:D

Mark the long oval in CENTER/MIDDLE of the shifter. Again check to make sure it is CENTER OF THE TANNY TUNNEL.:eek:

Lets check:

#8 · (Edited)
OK....Lets start cutting...:rolleyes: It's getting there:

OK..this looks close...:rolleyes: :

Lets check the shifter in the nice clean hole I just cut!!:D :D

Now....I got a silver paint pen and marked floor boards for the CENTER of the shifter. Ignore the beer bottle cap!:D See below:

Now take seats, carpet, insulation out of the car. Line the shifter up with the mark on the floor boards. This time mark out where the shifter bar is going to go through floor boards. ALSO mark where you need to drill for you shifter mount tabs.
See:

Drill the holes for the shifter and cut long slot hole for shifter bar. I had to take a socket and a hammer from underneath and knock the drivers side of the floorbaord to clear the shifter bar when in PARK position. I USED THE MIDDLE SIZE SHIFTER BAR NOT THE FLAT ONE.: It's not pretty but it works perfect.

#9 · (Edited)
Now the sound deadner is installed and the shifter is mounted and you need to secure the billet boot ring that will not bend or bow. Humm......what should I do?.....How about cut a piece of wood in the shape of the billet ring just a little bigger (about 1/4") with a jig saw. Look closely...the outline of the shifter boot ring is on the top. Just be sure it's square and it doesn't interfer with shfiter bar. It's not going nowhere so no need to secure it to the floor...just set it on top of shifter and lay carpet over it. You cut the wood to have some extra leeway.;)

Install carpet. Remember the carpet is already cut to exact fit.

I put the shifter boot in billet ring and made sure all 4 corners where actually in the corners of the ring and then used 5 min. epoxy and glued the boot to the ring...BE CAREFUL!! Take your time! At the same time, I pushed the machine screws through the boot to help hold the boot in place while it dried. CAREFULLY take paint thinner to wipe excess epoxy of the billet ring if needed.

Unscrew shifter knob and set the trim ring with mounted/glued boot through shifter bar and screw the machine screws straight through carpet into wood mount under carpet and insulation. Use hand held philips head screw driver to avoid over tightening the screws.. tighten....this should pull mount tight.

Walla:

#13 ·
the Flyer said:
OK, i thought if there was a way ta turn it around... it'd look better... but yer OK... it DOES look VERY professional what ya did Dave... i'd let ya do mine anyday... a first class job fer sure...
Thanks Johnny! Yours is gonna be super sweet too!! I can't wait to see yours all together!;) :D :D

#14 ·
can ya send me copys of all yer shots on yer install Dave ??? i'd like ta add 'em to an album i'm working on... they'd all be "Your" pictures, not mine, but i'd like to join them with some others i've been collecting if it's ok. your install looks Very Professional... only hope mine can be as cool... we'll see when i'm done, right ??? i AM getting stuff done... i'll be updating reeeeal soon here... :cool: :cool:

#17 ·
Love the idea for mounting the tach. Wher'd ya come up wit dat??:rolleyes:

Just so happens that thats the way I plan on going with the little nubben on the column, as soon as I can get off of my dead arse and do some work on it.

WINTER SUCKS!!!!!

#19 ·
We're even, since you made it look soooo easy. I was planning on getting a piece of aluminum and machining it to fit "in" the shifter hole. And be a "T" to mount the tach to.

Never thought of just using the existing pin holes to bolt it up!! I guess I'm always trying to do it the hard way!

Thanks for the insight!

#21 ·
the Flyer said:
psssssst !!! drill a (small as poss) hole in lighter delete plug, install grommet and run tach wires through it ;)

maybe ???
or I could pop the lighter delete out, install a regular grommet, and run the wires in a small black tubing through it.:D Then I can throw the lighter delete plug in the glove box for a rainy day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.