Chevy Nova Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Novajay,The shift nub should stay put because the lower column in the engine compartment should have a detent to keep from over shifts etc.Take a look a at a shop manual it may show the detent. Tom

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Actually novajay...the column is in the REVERSE position. PARK would put the tach too high in my car. Look closely on the left hand side of the column towards the front. You will see a machine screw. I carefully drilled the column and ran a 1" machine screw through the side to hold it in the reverse position.

NOTE: Be sure and bypass or relocate your nuetral safety switch on the column or you will never get your car to start!! They are the two purple wires on the switch located on the column under the dash. At least they are purple on a factory 2nd gen harness.

Does this answer all your questions? Let me know.

Dave

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Please guys....let me give you some advice before you install this shifter. It wasn't as easy as it could have been. I will make this shifter install much easier for you. Things not mentioned yet in this thread.

#1 LOKAR SHIFTER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS SUCK BALLS.

#1 YOU MUST use the transmission shifter bar provided with the kit. This bar installs with the bar upright not facing down like a cable shifter set up. ASK ME HOW I KNOW>>>:rolleyes: I can walk you through this step the best I can. I had a powerglide so yours may be slightly different but the same concept none the less. You can do this...no need to send it to a tranny shop to have it done.

#2 In my tranny, I didn't have a notch on the bracket that held the shifter bar in place internally. In other words, when I slid the shifter bar in I can rotate any way I wanted until I tightened the allen head bolt which locked the shifter bar in place. This meant I didn't know exactly where I need to be in park or low 1 position. I had to play with this for hours until I got it to shift all the way into park and all the way into Low 1. LEAVE THE PAN OFF THE CAR UNTIL YOUR SHIFTER IS SET UNLESS YOU HAVE A INTERNAL BRACKET THAT IS NOTCHED FOR SHIFTER BAR.

#3 my new lokar shifter bar coming off the side of the transmission is REALLY CLOSE to the trans tunnel since now it is inverted. My glide shifter bar barely fit but I don't know if a TH350 or 700R4 would be tighter.

Let me know before you install this shifter. I will tell you want to do and what not to do.

Dave

Man, that looks great! It really sets off your interior perfectly! I recently installed the universal shift knob adapter on my Lokar shifter as I wanted to go with a plain white ball shift knob. It looks OK but I think it makes the stalk look too thick. Maybe it will grow on me....
Again, you're shifter looks great!

Jim

Did you ever get the wires to the tach cleaned up? :D

Scott

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Dave, why did you remove the Lokar? Not happy with the performance?

Frank
Hey Frank,

The shifter was great but it didn't have a lock out mechanism between drive and neutral. It really is designed for fully automatic trannys (put in drive and go). It is not a shifter you want to be worrying about shifting manually at WOT. My transmission is a full manual valve body so I didn't have the choice of dialing in my tranny shifts automatically (via governer/modulator) or adjusting a kick down cable. I want to race the car some at the track and the last thing I need to worry about is blowing the motor because I manually overshifted into neutral.

The lokar is definately a solid shifter and looks spectacular. Unfortunately, it just wasn't ideal for my set up.

Dave

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Oh yea.:D This thread is a year old almost. I was still working on the wiring in my car when I took the pics in this thread.
Oh... I saw how old the thread was... that's why I had to rib ya... just a little! :D

Scott

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.