Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Nova bench seat car with an automatic column shift. I’m putting in a turbo 350 or 700R4 and want a floor shifter. Has any one used a Lokar shifter in this application? I have used B&M shifters in past cars, but I got tired of reaching forward to shift. The Lokar sits a lot higher than a B&M. It also looks like it gives you a lot cleaner look, like a 4spd.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m looking at the Lokar floor mount shifter FMS6350C. You can get it in a length of 6 to 23 inches. You use a boot like you would use on a 4spd. Lokar has a couple of different boots. Most of the street rod guys use Lokar shifters, so I would think they are a good shifter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i am currently using a lokar shifter in my '63 nova with bucket seats. it actually works great. with the bend it has in the handle i think it'll work for your application also. it puts the handle right within reach. i'm also running a manual trans hump witch moves the shifter a little closer to the driver. it ended up looking pretty good (like an actual manual car).

alex

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I would think if you used the floor mount shifer it would work. The transmount shifter may fit assuming you did the measurements and it clears the bench seat but I have never seen one in a bench nova so I am really only guessing.

Good question. I was looking at these shifters and wondering the same thing myself.

Anyone else?

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest concern about the Lokar floor mount shifter is cutting up my trans hump, just to make it fit. The Lokar uses linkage instead of a cable. I need to go down to So Cal Speed Shop and look at one. The Lokar web site doesn’t give you very good information on the shifter.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
tmill said:
My biggest concern about the Lokar floor mount shifter is cutting up my trans hump, just to make it fit. The Lokar uses linkage instead of a cable. I need to go down to So Cal Speed Shop and look at one. The Lokar web site doesn’t give you very good information on the shifter.
Please post what your findings are, once you get to the speed shop. you are correct, the site and the catalog do not give much info.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
It would be a sweet looking set up assuming it fits and is a good shifter. does it have shift, reverse or nuetral lockouts? Was more curious to know how it shifts and what safety features it has.
This is basically what my concern would be.

If it has definatly very positive positions for the gears so going into the wrong position would not easily happen.

Right now I have a B&M Street Stick (No longer produced) and I love it because of the very positive positioning. However, I like the stockish (manual) look of the lokar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi: I installed a Lokar in my '67, but the car has bucket seats. The shifter is mated to a 700R4 and has the reverse/safety lock-out module. It also has the shift indicator ring on the boot. It all works fine & looks great, too. Lots of good comments have come in from other car owners. If you want a performance drag race-type shifter, then there are better choices out there. The problem that I encountered with the installation was with shifter-to-tunnel clearance. I dropped the rear tranny crossmember an extra inch to solve my problem, but I think the right way is to modify the tranny tunnel. Either add a 4-speed shift plate or beat the tranny tunnel to fit for shifter clearance. It takes some extra work, but once done the Lokar is a nice, solid set-up. Todd

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
tj1930vik said:
Hi: I installed a Lokar in my '67, but the car has bucket seats. The shifter is mated to a 700R4 and has the reverse/safety lock-out module. It also has the shift indicator ring on the boot. It all works fine & looks great, too. Lots of good comments have come in from other car owners. If you want a performance drag race-type shifter, then there are better choices out there. The problem that I encountered with the installation was with shifter-to-tunnel clearance. I dropped the rear tranny crossmember an extra inch to solve my problem, but I think the right way is to modify the tranny tunnel. Either add a 4-speed shift plate or beat the tranny tunnel to fit for shifter clearance. It takes some extra work, but once done the Lokar is a nice, solid set-up. Todd
Do you have digital pics? Would really like to see it. :D I can PM you my email and you can send to me to host them for you.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
tj1930vik said:
Hi: I installed a Lokar in my '67, ..............The problem that I encountered with the installation was with shifter-to-tunnel clearance. I dropped the rear tranny crossmember an extra inch to solve my problem, but I think the right way is to modify the tranny tunnel. Either add a 4-speed shift plate or beat the tranny tunnel to fit for shifter clearance. It takes some extra work, but once done the Lokar is a nice, solid set-up. Todd
Did you use the floor mount shifter or the tranny mount. I talked to a Lokar dealer yesterday about this (he is a member here - "ibuildm") anyway, he confirms what tj1930 said in his post. There is a rev saftey switch, but No positive positions for the forward gears. So a true ratchet shifter this is not. More of a hot-rod cruisin' type.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
Do you have digital pics? Would really like to see it. :D I can PM you my email and you can send to me to host them for you.

Dave
Sorry, Dave, I didn't take any pictures of the install. With 20-20 hindsite.......... well, you know the story! My Lokar is a tranny mount, but maybe the new floor mount unit would solve any clearance problems & prevent any beat-to-fit steps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To FunkyNova66

I read what you wrote about installing your floor shifter & droping your tranny cross member an inch. Just wondering how that is working for you because...I know a guy that bought a 66 Chevy II & the previous owner cut the cross member & welded it back so that he could install a TH350 tranny. In the process of "rigging" the new crossmember, he unknowly lowered the tail shaft of the tranny which in turn raised the front of the engine. This caused oiling problems to the front cylinders & the engine finally blew. I'm not saying this will happen to you... I just wanted to share this with everyone. Thanks.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i have seen them in cars and they do look like a stick shift! i played with one at a car show this winter and it felt to me like it was a little flimsy? if your not going to be banging gears it would proubly be ok. i went with the hurst 1/4 stick because of the positive postions and lock outs to satisfy nhra and it makes me feel safer too! :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
You will probably have to cut a good protion of the side of the tranny tunnel out to use a Lokar floor mount shifter. A friend just installed one in his 63 convertible and he had to cut a good amount out of the drivers side of the tunnel since the shifter use a rod instead of a cable. His car is sitting in my shop right now, i'll go by and get pictures of it sunday.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Hemi Nova said:
You will probably have to cut a good protion of the side of the tranny tunnel out to use a Lokar floor mount shifter. A friend just installed one in his 63 convertible and he had to cut a good amount out of the drivers side of the tunnel since the shifter use a rod instead of a cable. His car is sitting in my shop right now, i'll go by and get pictures of it sunday.
Did you ever get any pictures? I am about to buy the trans tunnel mount lokar shifter for my 66 and wanted to see the positioning your friend used when cutting his 63.

Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm going to buy one of these within the next couple of weeks I think. Dave, what lenght are you going to get? I'm thinking about the 8 or the 10.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A picture speaks a 1000 words. Not sure about '67 but here's a pic of my '72 with a bench, 16" lokar shifter, 700r4 tranny.

When they say you can mount it anywhere on the floor, they were right. They give you a few offsets and a long threaded rod to accomodate whereever you want to put it.

-Phil

1 - 20 of 49 Posts