Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you run a 200R4 tranny do you have to use a lockup convertor? If you dont have run one other than not being able to lock it is there a down side to not running one? How similar is a 200R4 in dimensions to a th350?

thanks guys:)

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I've alway's run the lock up. If it's in a street car, it will create too much heat if not locked up in 4th gear.

The 200 is basically the same as a 350. The mount is about 5" back further on a 200, but they can use the same drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
undercvrSS said:
I've alway's run the lock up. If it's in a street car, it will create too much heat if not locked up in 4th gear.

The 200 is basically the same as a 350. The mount is about 5" back further on a 200, but they can use the same drive shaft.

Ok...cool...so the mount must be almost at the end of the tailhousing?.....I like the fact it can use the same driveshaft...thats cool too....thanks for the info:)

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Yes, the mount on a 200 is at the end of the tail housing. the 200 also has a one peice case, it does'nt have a seperate tail housing like the other trans' do.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok I'm sure this is a really stupid question.....can a convertor from a th350 be used on a 200R4...ya I know that the th350 convertor wont lock up but would it actualy fit on the 200R4 tranny and otherwise work?

Ok be gentle with me:rolleyes: :p :)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Nope, it won't fit. Make sure you get the TV cable correct or it'll leave you stranded somewhere blown up.

Kev (stranded in Michigan, of all places)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
novaboy009 said:
Nope, it won't fit. Make sure you get the TV cable correct or it'll leave you stranded somewhere blown up.

Kev (stranded in Michigan, of all places)

Ya that is what I thought...thanks Kev......I've been thinking of a cool project lately and was sorta wondering it it was possible....you see you can get a kit to remove the convertor from a th350/th400 and install a clutch in its place...this allows you to have an unlimited variable launch rpm cause you can dump the clutch at whatever rpm you want but when you are moving you shift it like an auto tranny with no clutch required...sorta a poor mans lenco.....But no such kit is available for the OD trannies so I was wondering if the th350 could be adapted to work......anyway this is just me dreaming....but I thought a 4 speed auto with a clutch would be a cool tranny to run...:cool: :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a pic of a th400 thats been converted to a clutchhydro and a pic of one installed in a prostreet elky:cool:

Not the best pics on the planet but you can see what I'm talking about:)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Can you buy those kits? How much is involved with converting one? Seems like a nifty idea if they don't blow up too easily.

Kev

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
novaboy009 said:
Can you buy those kits? How much is involved with converting one? Seems like a nifty idea if they don't blow up too easily.

Kev
Well back in the day before the lencos were around they used to run them in quite a few different drag classes....I would suspect if the auto tranny is built well it will handle whatever you could dish at it...today if you see them in a race vehicle of any type it tends to be sanddrag cars...ya they sell the kits to convert both the th350 and the th400

http://www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/SideWinder/31.htm

In the article I have on this they say shifting one of these on the street behind a healthy motor is about the same as shifting a standard tranny without the clutch...very firm...:cool:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm not sure if this is going to make a difference, but they made a TH350 Lock up tranny also. So if they make a kit as described above for a TH350 lock up it may be able to be addapted to the 200r. I don't know for sure, but just something to consider!

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Nifty idea? How about this nifty idea - you can actually buy a device that goes in between the flexplate and tranny that will double the torque when you launch the car. This will get you going down the strip much quicker than the clutch setup.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike Goble said:
Nifty idea? How about this nifty idea - you can actually buy a device that goes in between the flexplate and tranny that will double the torque when you launch the car. This will get you going down the strip much quicker than the clutch setup.
ya Mike I know..its called a Torque convertor..hence the name....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mike Goble said:
No way!!!! :eek: :D

Matt

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am running a 700R4. My transmission builder recommended that I run the lock-up converter. (He also recommended letting my computer control the lock-up.) If you are not running low gears out back, it would be possible to be driving around at lower speeds with the converter below it's stall speed. Understandably, this would cause the fluid to get pretty hot. Overdrive transmissions don't do well with excess heat (or non-overdrive for that matter). A lock-up converter will also help fuel economy.

If you are considering purchasing a 200R4 or having one built, there is only one builder, in Georgia, that I would recommend. He built the 700R4 in the Goodmark Chevelle and the transmissions in a lot of cars at local tracks. He is honest, real world down to Earth, and just an all around great guy. (Owns some nice cars too.) Tell him what you are wanting and he can build a transmission to suite your needs. Tell him, Mark sent you.

David Eason :
Lake City Transmission
5354 Jonesboro Road
Lake City,GA
(404) 361-8931

Just remember, it's a business (and a busy one at that) not a tech line. These guys stay really busy. (Funny how that happens when you do good work.) Turn around time is still reasonable though.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
it would be possible to be driving around at lower speeds with the converter below it's stall speed. Understandably, this would cause the fluid to get pretty hot.

How does the converter know what the stall speed is? If I run my 153 at 2000 rpm on the street will it generate less heat than my 406 at the same speed?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Mike, you've always questioned statements about driving around below a converter's stall speed adding heat. Could you possibly elaborate on the science of the converter slipping (or not slipping) below stall speed and what ACTUALLY builds heat in transmissions? I don't think you've ever really explained your belief there.

Kev

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Here's a scenario:

I have a 153" L6 Nova with a powerglide tranny. My converter will stall the motor at 1500 rpm and I cruise at 2000 rpm. This will generate a certain amount of heat in the converter.

I swap my L6 for a 454" all aluminum torque monster and retain the original drivetrain. My new motor will be stalled at 3000 rpm by the same converter but I continue to cruise at 2000 rpm. Will this generate more heat in the converter than the L6 did? What leads you to your conclusion?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
just my 2 cents but I would bet that for normal driving around town that neither motor is producing enough torque to cause the convertor to slip a lot(and thus create lots of heat).......so IMO the car would largely drive normally with either motor in the car....BUT get on the motor really hard and I'm sure you will see the difference in stall speed and I bet a difference in the heat generated in the convertor because of the different stall speeds created by the two motors...I hope I explained this ok:confused::)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts