Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good question. I out a piece of tape on the balancer at 12:00 and rotated it until it stopped and it stopped at 9:00. I rotated it back and it stopped at 12:00 again. Very consistent. It only leaves about 90* more rotation left
I agree about the timing. It sees like that would be way to much rotation to be able to happen base upon timing being off. I am going to decouple from transmission first and see if there isn’t something hanging up there, but I don’t think that’s it. After that start pulling it apart and see what clears it. Intake off, timing cover, oil pump etc.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Pulled the motor free of the transmission today, still locks up. Pulled oil pan and can’t see anything that is blocking rotating assembly. Pulled the front timing cover ans removed the oil pump, still locks up. Pulled the heads off of it, sure that I was going to find something in a cylinder and nothing there, and still locks up.
I had bolted it back up in the motor mounts to hold it when I pulled heads etc so I am going to pull it out, throw it on the stand and pull the flex plate and flip it over to look closer in the rotating assembly.
I don’t feel like it could be something loose inside the motor as it rotates freely right up until it hits a certain point every time. I keep looking for where I could have out a bolt in the goes through the block or something to hang up a rod or something. Will update as I keep digging.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well finally figured it out and it is not what I was hoping for. The top of cylinder 8 had enough rust that it would not let the cylinder go up. I cleaned it up a little so I could see what I was facing. Doesn’t look good.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Composite material Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Tire Flag Automotive design Tread

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I bought it from a “reputable” restoration shop locally and the owner gave me the details on how he got it and that it was a very good running Yukon that was wrecked. But to answer your question, nope, didn’t hear it run. I had talked to the guy a handful of times and he does a lot of swaps into c10’s and some Novas. Kicking myself now for not doing a more thorough inspection. Plan was to throw a new oil pump in it, knock sensors and run it.
I have a call into them now and will hopefully talk to them this week about it. I don’t feel confident that I am going to get a great response as it has been 10 months since I bought it but who knows.
Initially I was hopeful that it could be honed with some level of satisfactory results, not sure that is in the cards.

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
328 Posts
Like Bruinfan, I’d been following this one as I was curious what you’d find. Sorry to hear it’s more serious but if it’s any consolation, it could be a lot worse…It could’ve failed while running and trashed everything. Hopefully it has no other issues and you can just disassemble, get the block bored and reassemble with new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. and have a nice runner. At that point, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing what you’ve got. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Was told it has around 140k miles. If I had to guess, it may have had 140k (who knows) but it sat for a long time. Only way I can see that happening.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts