Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled out my Canso that has been stored inside since 1993. Turns out shes seized. Pulled the plugs and threw down some atf. Soaking now. Any other suggest to break this thing free. How can i rotate this engine? Doesnt seem to have a crank bolt on center, has three little bolts around the pulley.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Did any moisture get into the engine? Is there oil in the engine? Was/is there any water in the cooling system?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did any moisture get into the engine? Is there oil in the engine? Was/is there any water in the cooling system?
There is oil and it looks clean. No visable coolant in rad. I don’t see how it would have accumulated any moisture inside the cyl but maybe.

·
6,287 Posts
You may be able to turn it at the starter ring gear but pulling the engine or removing the transmission may have to be done for access. There may be cylinder wall damage depending on the moisture. 17 years of hot and cold weather plus summer humidity may be contributing to the stuck engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,657 Posts
After much soaking, I'd try it at both the flywheel and at the front with this tool. Would take two people.

If that doesn't turn it without too much effort, you have bigger issues, I'm guessing, maybe rust in the cylinders from condensation or something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Try the Wayne Carini way..Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders and wait a few days. If you get it to break free, the do what 64freebyrd said about pulling distributor and running the oil pump.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
56 Posts
WD 40 dissolves rust.
put a lot down each plug hole.
If the rust hasn’t closed the ring gaps, Ty he wd 40 is thinner than marvel oil, and might travel down and unstick those rings.
But you know you are going to have to pull that engine and get a .030 cleanup bore on those cylinders.
the rust may have penetrated more than .015” wall thickness.
Have the block sonic checked for thickness. You may be able to punch that engine out to 301 cubes.
In high school, i had one.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have a 283 short block I picked probably about 7 years ago. It was stuck when I got it so I poured ATF in all the bores and covered it up. I use to check on it periodically but I haven’t touched it in about three years.. I have used that engine for mock up an a couple of projects but it’s been out of site and out of mind for a while now. Probably still stuck..

·
Registered
17 Posts
My motor Guru told me to spray the plug holes with a Half Marvel Mystery oil and half Kerosene mix. Soaked a Pontiac 350 that was sitting 15 years with this mix, broke free within two weeks then sprayed it 2x a week for another two months turning it over by hand each time. Started the motor, smoked pretty good, but settled down after a week or so. Now puffs smoke when you start it after sitting (needs valve seals)... Been driving it for 12 years as a weekend cruzer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts