Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot start question

I have locked timing with an MSD start retard set to pull 20 out on start which puts me at 14 degrees. When hot would it be helpful to pull 15 which puts me at 19 one leave it?

Asking cause there are times when it feels like it kicks back every now and then when hot.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When I was having the kickbacks on my race engine I was told that less retard was better. I had it at 25 and msd said go to 10.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Are you using a regular key or do you have your car on a aftermarket switch panel. I had a high compression 540 big block that would eat starters. I did everything they told me to eliminate the problem and finally solved it by getting the engine spinning over before throwing fire to the system. It was on a race car with a aftermarket panel so it had a crank switch and ignition on off switch.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have my HEI locked at 36, with 10.5:1 and a Powermaster mini-starter. Normally when cold/warm it has no trouble. When hot it does kick back but I just added a switch to the HEI power so I can spin the engine up and then kick on the spark. Works every time.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Are you using a regular key or do you have your car on a aftermarket switch panel. I had a high compression 540 big block that would eat starters. I did everything they told me to eliminate the problem and finally solved it by getting the engine spinning over before throwing fire to the system. It was on a race car with a aftermarket panel so it had a crank switch and ignition on off switch.
Mine was the same way. 14.5:1 ate 2 flexplates and 1 starter gear. I had the start retard at 25 degrees. I took it all out and went to light springs in the distributor so it idled at 30 and advanced to 36. Car never had a problem again, but MSD told me after I ripped it out that less retard is sometimes better. Made 980 hp with the distributor like that.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Probe's, Skip White had them in stock and sold them to me super cheap. Can't remember the specs, small dish, .041 head gasket. Have poured a ton of nitrous on them!
Good quality pistons really. Same ones I run in my 421. I think a -14cc dish if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And....... I think I lifted a ring land and/or sucked a ring. Big backfire, lots of blow by, hard starting. Pulling engine this week will know more later. Thinking a 427 is in my future!

I think I hurt it on a pass a few weeks ago when it had a lean tune and popped a few times. Car was cranky after that and it finally let me know it had enough Friday night. I had not been happy with how it has run out his year in general anyway so This is a good reason to freshen it up and make a few mods

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
And....... I think I lifted a ring land and/or sucked a ring. Big backfire, lots of blow by, hard starting. Pulling engine this week will know more later. Thinking a 427 is in my future!

I think I hurt it on a pass a few weeks ago when it had a lean tune and popped a few times. Car was cranky after that and it finally let me know it had enough Friday night. I had not been happy with how it has run out his year in general anyway so This is a good reason to freshen it up and make a few mods
Oh boy, that sux!
At least your ok.
Was/is there a big gap between the top of the piston and the 1st ring?
This is my blower piston custom ordered by my engine guy to leave a lot of room between the crown and the ring.
We are also talking about "softening" the combustion chambers too. That's done for nitrous also. :yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Make enough HP on gasoline and you don't need all that nitrous stuff. :devil:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a lot of meat for the land. Long rod and stroke.

Nice little fire on my catch can breather (Oil soaked) was the only excitement. That was the result of a huge back fire on the hit.

What is softening the combustion chamber? I have seen gas porting but I'm not sure I'll go that far, we'll see what my builder thinks.

Think I'll set it up for like a 300 shot and shoot for - 650 NA at the crank on a 11.5 compression pump gas build.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts