Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over the doors and body of car but i cant find any door jamb switches for the dome light. Where are they supposed to be installed? I'm going to buy switches for $12 a pair.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
It's on the front of the body's door opening about half way up. In my pic, it's that little rusty bolt looking thing on the door frame.

Be careful with the wires on the back of the switch when taking them out, they're always hot and easy to ground out.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
NovatoriusWrecks said:
Be careful with the wires on the back of the switch when taking them out, they're always hot and easy to ground out.

The wires are always hot because the switch takes it to ground to complete the circuit. You can simply put the wire to ground and all you will do is light the dome light. No harm done, no fuse blown, no short circuit.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any wires to take off. For some reason my car doesnt have door jamb switches, but it does have a dome light?:confused: My nova is a 67 100 series.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Not sure but it may have been part of an option in the 100 series that the original buyer may not have ordered. The light switch can be rotated to turn on the dome light if it does not have door switches.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked it. The dome light wont turn on, but it does dim the cluster and the gauges. Don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using bulb # 211. Chilton's Repair Guide shows that it uses that size. I bought the bulbs new just the other day.

Turned the switch full counter-clockwise, it wont turn on. im going to take of the reflector and clean up the connections. I have a chrome plated reflector i can replace it with too.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Have you tested the wires that run up to the dome light circuit to see that they're getting power when you turn the headlight switch to activate the dome light?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NovatoriusWrecks said:
Have you tested the wires that run up to the dome light circuit to see that they're getting power when you turn the headlight switch to activate the dome light?
I checked and i get 11.9 V.

while i was unbolting the reflector the rachet made contact with the bulb and lit up. It turned off immediately.

I got a philips head and grounded it, i made the shaft of it touch the bulb and Eureka! it lit up again. It only needed to be grounded. Now it turns on at the turn of the switch.

Thanks wskaiser & NovatoriousWrecks for your help:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts