Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can honestly say I've never posted an update on my car. So here it is.

We have had the car back in the area for about 3 months and it has done nothing but sit. Mostly due to weather followed by school work I never really had the time to do anything besides start and run it so it wouldn't get all funky. So today we had a high of about 63* and slight breeze so I grabbed some tools and headed out. I needed to start on my front end swap before it goes into body work which is in 2 weeks.

Here's What I got off the car:

Concours hood trim
Concours grill
Concours headlight bezels
1 of two Concours grill brackets
6 of 9 bolts on the Concours bumper filler

You're probably wondering why I only removed 1 of 2 brackets. That's because I had a run in with Mr. Battery :eek: I was removing the positive and I had no idea if something metal touches metal when messing with a battery it creates a large amount of orange sparks that go everywhere and not to mention scare the bjesus out of you. So I dropped the ratchet and did a jump back 5 feet luckily I wasn't shocked.

As for the 6 out of 9 bolts on the bumper filler there are 3 larger bolts that won't come out and I can't see where the nut is holding them in. Are they inside the bumper? I'd like to get the filler removed it'd be a big step for removal of parts.

Here are 2 pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
bumpers

Hey Sparky:devil:!

I pulled my front & rear bumpers off the car before disassembling them. Made it easier. Plus there were several of the bolts we had to air chisel off to complete the disassembly. The square shanks of the bolts were spinning in the bumper and not allowing the nuts to come off.
Its worth the effort, was able to treat the rust inside the bumpers, then prime and paint. Should keep them protected for quite a while from deterioration.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, I'll have the body guy check on that. My dad and I checked with Macco and Jim Browen Auto Body 500 and they all ended up being about the same price. I decided to go with Jim because he did work on our Rally and I guess its a sentimental sorta thing.

Forgot to throw this in my first post my Concours grill is crack free! :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Philip do I need to take all the hardware off the frame rails to get at those bolts? I'm trying to remove as little as possible but if I need to remove ALL the hardware I'm just gonna let the body shop guy handle the bumper filler I'm short on time on Wednesday I have my weekend already planned out (weather permitting) I'm out of the loop tomorrow (even though its Thursday) with lifting/classroom for football Friday I got a date and well, its to the movies. Saturday morning I have more football lifting/running then breakfast, homework, most likely a nap then saturday eveining Im going to watch the Villanova UNC game at a friends house. That leaves me an open day Sunday.

Oh, another quick question I have an original 75 or 76 Nova SS emblem and we have a sandblaster at school the shop teacher will let me use is it ok to sandblast it? Or will it rust? (the part will stay indoors)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4/5/09 Update

Had some time to kill and temperature was 65* sunny and slight breeze

Perfect.

So, I've been trying to get the friggin hood ornament off for about a week. I even bought a longer 13/16 socket to get at it. It still didn't work so dad recommended a shot of WD 40 and pliers. I sprayed WD and let it sit, sure enough BAM! its out.

I then got dad's help with removing the battery (nervous after last incident) he got it out so. We popped out the other bracket wrapped them in bubble rap and stored them. We got out the repro fiberglass Rally grill brackets and mounted them on.

After the brackets I removed the hood light. Im curious was this an option or were all Novas equipped with this light? After I cleaned up I started her up and first turn no gas pedal pushin' tonight. Let her idle and just sat in there.

I can just see it all start to come together....it's nice :yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts