Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im putting in a small block 350 4 bolt main
i have 350 heads with over size valves and been shaved down for more compression
the said the compression is 10:1 with pistons
i have flat top pistons bored 60 over
the cam is a performance 447 lift cam
and a summit hei performance distributor
with flow tech header with after burners
and bum 2300 stall torque converter
Edelbrock 4bbl Carb 750 cfm
Edelbrock performance rpm manifold
stock rockers for now

just wondering how much horse power will the motor have ???

other updates

right now the car is in parts. The front end is tore down .
No tranmission and no motor
took the ac and heater box off and going to replace it with the new heater box with no ac from Classic Industries. Going to redo the control arms with new bushings and ball joints. And then im going to sand the paint off and rust off the firewall and subframe and control arms and radiator suppprt and then paint them with black bedcoating i thought that would be cool looking.
I found a rusted hole around my windshied wiper motor wile takeing things off for sanding. should be and easy fix
and im going to add a brake booster
and redoind all new bushing for the front end
will post pic and more update just on dail up right now lol

forgot to say the motor is done just waiting on the carb and manifold to get here.
And i started sanding the car firewall and subframe and primed it yesterday just waithing on the black bedlining paint to get here.
going to try to do the control arms in the next week or two

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me :) I'm about to start the teardown on my 78, just waiting to close on our house.

Just an FYI the non-a/c boxes wont fit right on the a/c firewall. The rectangular holes are oriented different so the box wont line up. You can buy an a/c delete panel from www.acdelete.com that will eliminate the a/c while keeping the heat. It's about $150 but it looks good. I am personaly flat-plating the firewall and going with a "Moab" universal heater from Summit. It mounts under the dash and can connect to the stock defroster ducting for only $120!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
just wondering how much horse power will the motor have ???
Tough to say without more specs on cam and heads. If the cam is a little over stock, hp will be about the same, a little over stock. Also what rear end gear do you have? I do not have experience on the RPM manifold but your bottom end might suffer a little.

My first engine was a little over stock but it felt like a 4 cyl out of the hole due to the 2:73 rear end. About 1500 rpm and it took off and pulled hard to 5500. I would shift out of second gear at 100 mph. It was great passing cars on the two lane highway and would still get 17 mpg doing it.

·
Super Moderator
12,028 Posts
The L48 350 with 10.25 compression, 041 heads and a mild cam was rated at 300 horsepower. In 1970 most ratings were low, the one I had sure felt more powerful. Without knowing which heads you are using a guess would be 300 - 325 horse. The better the heads flow, the more power you can make.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
got the heads from a machine shop he told me that they was 350 heads that been shaved down and over size valves put in them. Is there any way to tell me what kind of heads these are ?
here is a pic of the heads sitting on the motor i took a few days ago

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
sure i can tell you what they are. just read off the casting number to me and i will tell you what they are.... they look like 882's from here but need the casting nymber to be sure....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Those heads are pretty sorry, IMO. They were produced between 75-84 and came with small valves and were light castings. They has less metal in them than the 882 castings and are more prone to cracking. Oh, and they were 76cc from the factory. If the machine shop installed bigger valves and shaved them down, then there cant be much metal left.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
got the heads from a machine shop he told me that they was 350 heads that been shaved down and over size valves put in them. Is there any way to tell me what kind of heads these are ?
here is a pic of the heads sitting on the motor i took a few days ago
those head pictured are not light weight heads.... if they were they would be scaloped around the bolt holes.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i finest sanding the firewall and took off the top and bottom control arms
ordering a shop press to press in those bushings still waiting on the paint for the firewall and sub frame. going to sand the sub frame i hope Saturday started rainy again lol here is a pic of the body

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yesterday i finest working on the sub frame sanding and priming. The paint is here lol finely. order a shop press will be here in a week or two. And then i get them new bushing in the control arms every thing will be ready to put back in here is a pic of every looking like the frame and firewall befor i paint them for the last time

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
already have new lifters and springs just not the cam because someone gave me one that said to be little over stock. that why im decited to get a better new cam a 420 or 425 cam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts