Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good answer as to why the same 1st gen motor (CID-wise) would be rated at such drastically different stock HP numbers? Why do some 350s show 350 HP and others 290, etc, etc, etc. I have a '69 327 block built with pretty pedestrian parts, nothing too flashy. I did just put some 8062 vortec heads on it. The cam is a mild .450 lift. Can anyone give me their opinion of ballpark horsepower/torque this motor will put out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
those HP ratings are based on several factors, compression, cam selection, head design, exhaust and intake. 1970 LT-1 in a corvette rated at 370hp but rated 360hp in a camaro. Difference is in the exhaust. Same engines.

in 1971 they dropped the compression 2 points and was rated at 330hp.

A stock 327 was rated at what 300hp? you probably added 40hp in changing the heads and cam...maybe.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
a standard 327 4bbl was generally gross flywheel rated at 275hp....

engines prior to 1972 were hp rated on gross flywheel ph with out having any water pump, alternator, Power steering pump, ac compressor, starting in 1972 all hp was rated as "S.A.E. NET" meaning with all accessories installed and running..

all engine produced came in variants and some changed year to year while others remained fairly consistent....

a engines hp is effected by compression, cam, and its ability to breath in and expel out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts