My '64 Nova, with column shift powerglide, has a bent rod going from transmission to linkage lever. Rod to steering column looks ok. I'm looking for a picture of trans rod, or a junk yard that might have '64 Nova parts. I found a junk yard for parts.
My 69 is a (250ci , I-6 , with the stock GM Power-Glide).
Then, I had that p/g trans rebuilt ……. Here goes -----
The tranny shop changed the trans shifter lever (where the column shift rod connects). This rebuild was "a bench rebuild" …. meaning that I did the remove & install. After getting the "new trans back in the car" ---- I test drove the car -- 5 miles -down th' hill , & back to my house, total maybe 10 miles, round trip.
that trans would NOT SHIFT Right ---- I could feel the shifter "hitting the detents for each gear .. and go into park and lock. I also could un-hook the lower shift rod (at the shift connection on the trans, itself) ; and, also move that shift --- it felt correct --- hitting each detent.
I would adjust the "linkage" many times -- it felt O K -- BUT Would-Not-Shift correctly. So, as the last straw , I pulled the pan (on my spare p/g trans) … to see what was going-on. I removed the 'whole shifter lever unit (and, to remove that - I had to remove the 'Valve-Body unit' - got the shifter shaft out --- and, guess what !
That shift-rod (from the outside - and - into the inside .. which operates the shifting (to get the gears to shift) -------
is a "two piece / splined shaft". meaning that the two shafts would slide into each other (and, were splined too each other) -----
THOSE TWO SHAFTS "Splines" WERE STRIPPED !
So, the outer shaft would move -- and, hit all the "gear detents" ----
BUT ---- the inside part of the 'shifter shaft' Was - Not - Moving into any gear. VERY , Very frustrating ….. I had to change-out the shift rod unit , and that's when I had too remove the 'valve-body' .
Sure is bad , when you go and pay good money to have it rebuilt -- and they do that kinda work. I was so mad …… I did not go back and even complain. I just stay Very Far away from that transmission shop ------------ BUT, I do tell my story to anyone that want their tranny rebuilt.
I will say, that after I changed out those 'shifter shafts' ---- I drove with that p/g for maybe 20 years ----- now, I've changed out to a stick shift --- Borg-Warner T 5 5speed ------- the best change to my car.
note: this was for a P/G ---- I'm not sure about another type trans.
But, sounds very similar too yours. Check a transmission Book or check with a trans shop ….
Thanks Twin, my problem is different. I painted engine bay while engines/transmission being looked at by professionals. Cleaning linkage area with carb cleaner, cleaned with compressed air. Then I sprayed a liberal amount of WD-40 around linkage, no change. Column shifter wont pull rods into Park. Tomorrow Quadrant Plate will be loosened and cleaned. Remove steering column if necessary.
Hi did you try disconnecting the linkage from the tranny? You then can see if the column is binding. Before removing it needlessly If that works smooth maybe a rod is bent or in backwards or upside town. Is this the stock PG tranny? Did you have this problem start before or after rebuild? Can you post some pics of your linkage at the column by the firewall and at the tranny
My problem seems to be the lever. Column rod to lever pulls lever up going into R, especially going into P, column rod pulls lever up, not back in straight line. Going into N,D,L is a straight line. All I did was remove rod from lever to transmission when I took transmission and engine out for overhaul. Gear selector worked as it should before I removed transmission. Trans rod to lever only installs one way. Column rod to shifter was not removed at lever. I took lever out, has normal play at bracket. Rod pivot bolt looks tight.
Hi I guess i asked the question wrong. What i should have said is disconnect the linkage at the column. This takes the linkage out of the picture. After you disconnect it move the shift lever from park to low. If it moves smoothly it is a linkage problem. If it still binds/gets stuck then it's in the column. Let me now and we'll go from there. I hope this helps