Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal.The 406 I have spun 2 main bearings do to loss of oil pressure.A freind told us that we need to have the block line bored.Do we have to do that cause we lost oil pressure and didn't notice it for about 30 seconds.It ran so good for 4 extreme years with no promblems untill we lost oil pressure and spun the main bearing.The motor has only been turn over by hand since.Am I to put a new rotating assemblie in.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
when you spin the mains.. it remove material from the cap and block.. making the bearing surface wider. and lessening the bearing "Crush"

if you use the block "AS IS" you will sping the same bearings in no time....

a line bore is a must to repair the damage.. and depending on the severity of the line bore a -005 to a -.010 timing set will have to ordered....

be sure to ask the machinist whether you need such a timing set after machining.

·
Registered
793 Posts
line bore it

Ok here is the deal.The 406 I have spun 2 main bearings do to loss of oil pressure.A freind told us that we need to have the block line bored.Do we have to do that cause we lost oil pressure and didn't notice it for about 30 seconds.It ran so good for 4 extreme years with no promblems untill we lost oil pressure and spun the main bearing.The motor has only been turn over by hand since.Am I to put a new rotating assemblie in.
line bore it or replace the block, don't even chance it! unless you like pulling the engine:no:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About how much does getting the block line bored cost.The motor is under the bench and the one in my car blew up so i'm thinking of what to go back with.I want to get a game plan first.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
cost

About how much does getting the block line bored cost.The motor is under the bench and the one in my car blew up so i'm thinking of what to go back with.I want to get a game plan first.
I say it's gonna cost you a SNS t-shirt!
Mike

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say it's gonna cost you a SNS t-shirt!
Mike
SweetI will go for that.lol.If having the block line bored don't cost much another 2000 I will have a new scat rotating assemblie with forged pistons and forged rod,cast crank,and two heads with 2.08 intake 1.60 exaust valves.I guess monday I will call around and get some prices.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
line hone shouldnt cost you no more than 500 bucks depending on the severity of the block and cap (s) you say your getting a forged rotating assembly but a cast crank why dont you spend an extra hundred bucks and get a forged crank as well .... when i redid my 355 i had to have it line honed i wanted to know how i spun main berings and come to find out that i was sucking the stock pan dry ( high vol oil pump ) so i switched to a milodon deep sump side kickout pan with internal baffiling i also didnt go with stock main and rod berings i splurged on better babbits that where coated my machinest told me they would be fine for street use. i too went the forged route ( h beam rods and pistons ) but i didnt do the crank ( its a forged 1053 gmpp crank ) but it wont handle the punishment of say a 200 shot of nitrous although ive been told different for an extra hundred bucks i could have gone with a forged nontwist 4340 crank my gmpp crank costed 900 bucks :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
if you are spending any where near $500 for a line bore you are getting screwed..

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you are spending any where near $500 for a line bore you are getting screwed..
Thanks for ya imput.I will call around tomorror to see what they say.Thanks for all yalls imput.I will update when I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts