Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize so many people also like 77 nova's. I was always told that they weren't popular because they weren't considered a muscle car, but many people on this site have really good looking cars. I have always liked the body style and look of 76 and 77 novas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didn't realize so many people also like 77 nova's. I was always told that they weren't popular because they weren't considered a muscle car, but many people on this site have really good looking cars. I have always liked the body style and look of 76 and 77 novas.
Always have and always will love my 77

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive heard too many times that my nova is not a classic, i love my car and the more u think of it other gen. novas are becoming harder n harder to find, and these fourth gen are somewhat easy to find parts for, My 77 will always b a classic muscle car to me :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had a 77 in high school and loved it then (1984). I have owned my current 77 for about 7 years and still think that they are great.

·
13,984 Posts
I didn't realize so many people also like 77 nova's. I was always told that they weren't popular because they weren't considered a muscle car.
What we tend to forget is that more than 90% of the Chevy IIs/Novas built between 1962 and 1979 didn't fall into the muscle car category. The vast majority were small engine, low horsepower economy cars. I always chuckle when members here at SNS start threads about GM reviving the Nova. They're thinking muscle car, but if it ever happened (which it won't), they'd probably come back as a small 'no performance' four door hybrids.

Bob

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I owned a 78 Nova many years back and always liked them. A great platform for a street cruiser or a serious strip car also. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
What we tend to forget is that more than 90% of the Chevy IIs/Novas built between 1962 and 1979 didn't fall into the muscle car category. The vast majority were small engine, low horsepower economy cars. I always chuckle when members here at SNS start threads about GM reviving the Nova. They're thinking muscle car, but if it ever happened (which it won't), they'd probably come back as a small 'no performance' four door hybrids.

Bob
Great way to put it
Chevelles,Torninos Chargers all with Big Engines were the class of Muscle cars,
Mustangs,Camaros, Cudas and such no matter engine size were Pony Cars
Novas,Falcons,and Darts were Econo Boxes, I know some early Cars were tagged Muscle Car Such as the Bubbletop Chevys or The Galaxies with The 427 and of Course The 300 cars, As for Muscle Car Really only One Nova could have been classed that and it would be a Yenko, But truthfully they fall into The Super Car Class, Any ways Muscle car term has been put on a lot of cars that really Shouldn't be, A Mid Size Car with a Big Engine
Pony Cars are Small Cars with med to Large Engines built for speed by lighter is Better, And since Camaro fell into that They just begged the Nova an Econo Boz cause most were sold as cheap transportation and second family cars, I am just writing thoughts down, As Most may think all SS Cars are Muscle Cars But really not, Take mine It is Pro Street and has SS trim, But I would never think of it as Muscle Car even if it wasn't Pro Streeted, All these terms get carried away sometimes. But Generally I class Novas as Econo Boxes sorta how 55-57 Chevys are ShoeBox Cars

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oddly enough, I've had more than a few folks come up and say "Nice Nova! What year is that? '72?" They always seem surprised when I say "Nope, '77". I guess anything after '72 conjures up images of rusting hulks sitting under a tree behind a house or barn with plus-sized bumpers.

When my dad bought my '77 some years ago, I didn't have any say in the matter. But, I'd say the snobbery I've received from pre-73 car guys has made me appreciate the post-73 cars even more. Kinda the "underdogs" of Detroit's past.

And dare I say it... the snobbery that has surprised me the most is from earlier gen Nova owners. I've come to expect it from the Oldsmobile / Pontiac / etc crowd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i like when i tell someone i have a nova and they ask the year and i say 79 i get the :awkward: face from em'. but when ppl actually SEE my car in person or ride in it, i get a much different reaction from them :yes::notworthy::bounce:

·
Registered
83 Posts
my great grandfather bought the 78 I am redoing brand new in 77. its only been registered in his, my mother's and my name. its even still got a J&B bottle keychain hanging from the rearview mirror from when my grandfather drove the car. my grandfather has been gone for almost 20 years but his car is still kickin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a '77 for a daily driver back in 1996. My son was 3. He loved that car, we kept it for him and fixed it up for his use. He drove it to high school, and he's driving it in college. He says a week rarely goes by when someone asks him some question about it. We love our '77 Nova.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Call it a Brick, Muscle car, Cruiser, Granny car, Ugly, a Fart,( I even heard 4th gens beeing called an imitation of the older novas:bored:) No matter what the crowd may think these cars have POTENTIAL and thats what matters:yes: and they thought we wanted to be categorized along with the mustangs pshhhh:rotfl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts