Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What aluminum or otherwise lightweight brake M/C's have you all tried or heard good things about. I'm looking at something like this one, but I'm hoping for a direct bolt up fit.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=13603&parentCategoryId=10161&langId=-1

Any ideas how much weight I'd be saving vs a HUGE m/c that my dad got off of an older GM 3/4 or 1 ton truck? (dont ask, i wasn't there to stop him... but hey, i had a 66 chevy ii that would really WHOA down from 105mph, HA) It's got a lot of runs on it, and has started to have a slow 'leak down' especially when staging (footbrake car). So, i'm contemplating a replacement.

Anyone have an opinion or suggestions. Hoping to find something for around or less than 100 bucks total.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
On my 69 I used a Mopar piece by slotting the bolt holes to fit the spacing of the Chevy part. I believe the Strange m/c is a Mopar piece that they sell for twice as much as the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, yea i've heard of using the M0par, but after looking at the order books, i thought maybe the aftermkt ones were what people refered to.

Do you remember which piece you asked for at the local 'gettin place'?

Thanks man, thats pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

Lee

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
bowtie0069 said:
On my 69 I used a Mopar piece by slotting the bolt holes to fit the spacing of the Chevy part. I believe the Strange m/c is a Mopar piece that they sell for twice as much as the local auto parts store.
YEP! Comes off an '84 Ramcharger. Atleast the 1-1/8 bore'd one does(under 20 bucks). Still have to buy the reservoir and caps seperately(around 40 bucks at a Dodge dealership).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. thanks for the info. Do you recomend the 1 1/8" piston?

Lee (looking very promising) :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The one I used was from some 80's sedan(don't remember the model) I think most of them are the same style but there are a few bore sizes. Mine was about $40. complete. The one I used before this must have been a different bore, and it had a much firmer pedal. I think one was 1 1/16" and the other was 1 1/8"

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
The one I got is aluminum (I wanted to polish it) and is a MoPar 1 1/32" bore. I got it from Art Morrison. They also make a mounting kit with rod etc. that you can get. I used the stock rod and adjusted the length..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, I'll be purchasing one this week. :cool:

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts