Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 63 with turn signal/brake light problem. It's all on the left side the drivers work fine. The park lights all work. but when I try the turn signal only the L-rear comes on not the front and the brake light is not coming on when I brake on that side. I checked grounds and used a test light seems like it's not getting power to either wire at the bulb when the signal is on. I've replaced the sockets and at one time not long ago all this worked fine but now it's not. Any thoughts would be great.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the samething about the turn signal switch. It's a repo not less than 1 year old I know that doesn't mean much. But if it's bad at least I got the car inspected and the tag is current.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had a similar problem with my car last year. I also had a repop switch that was less than a year old . I called the vendor I bought it from , and they replaced it at no charge :) . My '64 uses a 1st design switch , same as a '63.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I did think about doing that but I can't figure out why all the turn work but the l-front. I think that the brake light is a different problem now and they are not being caused by the same thing. I'll have to do some more testing to figure this one out.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
The brake light circuit is interrupted by the turn signal switch to allow it to blink when the turn signal is activated, otherwise the rear would not be able to blink when the brakes are applied. If the switch is bad it could be cutting off the signal to the brake light. And if the portion of the turn signal switch that feeds the front is defective it may not send a signal to the front but may to the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
the problem is in the turn signal switch as previuosly noted.if oem is not available,i think 63 impala shares the exact part,but bears a diff part #.some times the repops just don't cut it.thx,cj.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sence. I'll have to try a different switch. I think it has a impala in it now. It's funny how one day electrical works and the next day it doesn't.Thanks for clearing up some of the "I don't know's" for me!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts