Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What paint would be good for covering the lifter valley for aiding oil drain-back? What high-temp paint would be good for painting the block? Is there something available in spray cans?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, is sealing the lifter valley worth the time & effort?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
loneagle said:
I've heard the POR 15 engine painting kit is a good one!
Yeah, I have a new container of POR15 Chevy Orange sitting here. Is that stuff resistant to oil (could paint intake valley with it too)???

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That Glyptal idea was first published in "How to Hotrod Small Block Chevy's" back
in the seventies. It's hung around ever since. You don't need to go to all that trouble. Just deburr the valley with a "tootsie roll". It will work just as good without the risk of any paint coming off. Pay attention to the drain back holes.
This is something that really should have been done before machining and cleaning the block.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul Wright said:
That Glyptal idea was first published in "How to Hotrod Small Block Chevy's" back
in the seventies. It's hung around ever since. You don't need to go to all that trouble. Just deburr the valley with a "tootsie roll". It will work just as good without the risk of any paint coming off. Pay attention to the drain back holes.
This is something that really should have been done before machining and cleaning the block.
Vizard's book shows how to detail the oil return holes. Should I go ahead and do that and try to re-clean the block, or should I just leave it go now?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I say no paint inside. just another thing to worry about coming loose. If your cam bearings are removed I say go for grinding and realy get in and under those oil returns in the rear. Make sure all left over flash and casting sand is gone. If you have cam bearings installed already leave the grinder in your tool box

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
It is sorta old school to paint the lifter valleys it has to be super clear or you risk big strips of paint going off and pluging a lifter gallery or pump pickup....BUT there are places that still do it...PAW for one uses Rustolum on the inside of the motors they do...:)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was sort of thinking out loud in this thread. After researching this some more and seeing your replies, I'm not going to paint the lifter valley. I'm gonna call the machine shop this morning and see if the cam bearings are in yet. If not, I'll just have them do the grinding for the oil return paths since the block is there. Shouldn't cost much at all.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Good move Dave.I was letting you decide yourself on the Paint.I think Painting the Valley is a Waste of time.
Joe

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe said:
Good move Dave.I was letting you decide yourself on the Paint.I think Painting the Valley is a Waste of time.
Joe
What about painting the pistons and camshaft :eek: :D Could help reduce friction!!!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
What about painting the pistons and camshaft :eek: :D Could help reduce friction!!!
only if you use a graphite based paint...if not then dont waste your time:rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
DriveWFO said:

Smokey Yunick in his "Power Secrets" books says to paint the piston tops with VHT high temp flat white.. Ive never done it but Im sure it would have a short term effect till it went away out the exhaust valve. :D

·
3,862 Posts
There are some high tech coatings out there for piston sidewalls and tops that are very effective. Probably overkill for this application not, to mention the costs involved.

Bruce

(keep up the 383 posts as this is my next project after the big blocks are gone)

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Coating pistons, valve springs, etc. is fairly common these days. Some coatings absorb oil, some repel, etc...just depends on what component is used for. It's not that expensive to do but their seems to be questionable paybacks for the average user.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey DriveWFO did you ever get the flow numbers on those ported vortecs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts