Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i raced a 1.8t volkswagen the other nite and i messed up my lifters..i redlined into 3rd gear and heard a loud ticking noise. i popped the valve covers off and the pushrods and rockers are in good shape..i still beat the 1.8:yes:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I don't think you damaged a lifter. I'll bet you did damage a spring or a rocker. Get back in there, and with the valve cover off, run the engine. Yes, you'll make a horrible mess, but you will find the clattering gear right away. If you pulled a stud, you've got problems brother! Next time, shift earlier :eek:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Here ya go....

Step 1. Pull BOTH of the valve covers.:yes:
Step 2. Check for loose/damaged rockers and springs
Step 3. "Bump" the engine over and repeat step 2
Repeat this process until you find the loose rocker making noise. At that point you can try and figure out WHY it came loose. Loose poly-lock, bent pushrod, broken valvespring, pulled stud, etc..

If none of that is found, change your header gasket.:D

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Hydraulic cam? Collapsed lifter? Let it sit at a high idle for awhile and see if it pumps back up. Pretty common with old GM lifters--first time it happened to me I about crapped! Sounded like the whole world was coming to an end--I had to get home, so I just continued on, after a few miles the noise just started to taper off....and then went away...whew!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info guys..im picking up a set of alluminum heads and getting a new comp cam lifter kit with a set of forged pushrods and harland sharp 1.6 ratio rockers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts