Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was trying to find out when ca. switched from the yellow plates to the black plate. all the info i got said it was in 1963, so does that mean the 1962 nova should have had yellow plates on them?

thanks
jon

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
63 was the first year for the black/yellow plate.I suspect that time of registration may have played a roll in which plates a 62 came with originally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cal Plates

Hi Jon,
The black and yellow plates would be on your car if it was sold and registered Jan 1st or later of 1963 but if your car was purchased and registered in 1962 it would have the yellow and black.If your car was not built until late Dec.or after it is probably safe to say you should have the black plates.When the law changes in july in california you will be able to place black plates that are not in use on your 1963 to 1969 model california registered car.This will place a twist on the collector car market as california black plate cars bring a premium. The sequence in which the plate letters and numbers were issued will also give away some of the fakes with the exception of a car like a 62 model year entering california in 1965 or a 1965 car entering california in 1969 as an example.As always owner history with docs is the best.Hope this helps.I also met a guy that restores black plates(didn't care for his work but a nice guy)that has the DMV sequence numbers on plates from 1963 to 1969.
Mike

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hi Jon,
The black and yellow plates would be on your car if it was sold and registered Jan 1st or later of 1963 but if your car was purchased and registered in 1962 it would have the yellow and black.If your car was not built until late Dec.or after it is probably safe to say you should have the black plates.When the law changes in july in california you will be able to place black plates that are not in use on your 1963 to 1969 model california registered car.This will place a twist on the collector car market as california black plate cars bring a premium. The sequence in which the plate letters and numbers were issued will also give away some of the fakes with the exception of a car like a 62 model year entering california in 1965 or a 1965 car entering california in 1969 as an example.As always owner history with docs is the best.Hope this helps.I also met a guy that restores black plates(didn't care for his work but a nice guy)that has the DMV sequence numbers on plates from 1963 to 1969.
Mike

Original black plate cars can be differentiated by the registration paper.

Cars that acquired there black/yellow plates after the fact will be charged for the YOM(year of manufacturer) fee.Original black plate cars will not.This fee will be reflected on the registration paper.

I can elaborate on this further:

1.Original black plate cars can lose and regain there original plate for several reasons,these senarios can be an original black yellow plate car with the YOM fee.

a.A car that left california and re entered the state.The owner/owners retained the original plates. This will be an original black plate car with the YOM fee.

b.A car that was totaled by an insurance company would have lost it's original black and yellow plate.The new law can allow this car to regain it's original black yellow plate if the owner/owners retained the original plate.This car will also reflect the fee.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info.....my car did come with black plates, how do i tell if they are the originals?

jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts