Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a wrecked Lexus SC400 and use the engine (4.0L 260hp/270lb torque)/tranny/radiator/dash cluster. I swapped a 300z drivetrain into a Datsun 510 a few years back, but there was a kit (engine/tranny mounts & exhaust). Anyone have experience fabricating engine/tranny mounts? I have never welded before, but I'm buying a welder soon. I think I may just tack everything and take it somewhere for the final welds.
The main reasons I'm considering this is: reliability, longevity (engine is extremely good), decent performance & mileage, and uniqueness. How hard is it to fabricate the parts and ensure everything is perfectly aligned? Would this destroy the value of my car - not that I'll ever sell it?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
There's a guy who works for TRD and drives an early Nova--he was going to install a Toyota Nascar V-8 in his. If he's at the track this week, I'll see if has any info on the swap.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I also have a 66SS. Last winter my snowblower went to heck but the 8 HP Tecumseh engine in it still runs. Does anybody make a kit to mount this motor in my car?

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
BPeer1 said:
I also have a 66SS. Last winter my snowblower went to heck but the 8 HP Tecumseh engine in it still runs. Does anybody make a kit to mount this motor in my car?
I'm sorry, but that's freakin funny!:D

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
yerny said:
I'm thinking about buying a wrecked Lexus SC400 and use the engine (4.0L 260hp/270lb torque)/tranny/radiator/dash cluster. I swapped a 300z drivetrain into a Datsun 510 a few years back, but there was a kit (engine/tranny mounts & exhaust). Anyone have experience fabricating engine/tranny mounts? I have never welded before, but I'm buying a welder soon. I think I may just tack everything and take it somewhere for the final welds.
The main reasons I'm considering this is: reliability, longevity (engine is extremely good), decent performance & mileage, and uniqueness. How hard is it to fabricate the parts and ensure everything is perfectly aligned? Would this destroy the value of my car - not that I'll ever sell it?

Thanks,
Bryan
You're kidding right:confused: bm

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I bet that would be a great swap.....I actually thought of doing the same thing years before I put my 327 in. Stay in touch if you get into it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Can the Lexus engine

If you want to put a modern day engine in there why not an LS1?

D

·
0 Posts
wow, this board usually prodes itself on being accepting....and not being jerks about a different idea

That is an awsome idea with putting that engine in your nova. TRD makes alot of aftermarket parts, like a real bolt on supercharger.

when I was entertaining a swap for my opel, i made a mock up motor out of balsa and cardboard to put in the empty engine compartment. it had the alt, waterpump and mounts to figure out where it was going to go.

If you do that, you can save your fabricator alot of time. I was looking at 550 to put a euro spec opel turbo 4 for mounts and trans mounts plus a new rad cowl

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
to me it sounds like an interesting swap...my only concern whould be all the electronics that a motor of that vintage:rolleyes: would require....things such as the CPU...hopefully this stuff is salvagable from your donar car...good luck...:)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
BPeer1 said:

are you planning of using a belt drive for this combo or do you have a different idea?:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL - knew it was coming

I'm a Chevy fan, but I love technology. The 1UZFE engine is a 4 valve quad-cam engine. It has a forged crank, six bolt mains, reinforced lifter galley, and all aluminum construction. It is extremely light and compact, with 500hp very easy. They run for up to 500k miles, weigh about 374lbs - whereas a 70's era Chevy 350 weighs in at about 570lbs. I do know about reliability, just check Consumer Reports - Lexus drivetrains is one of the top, while Chevy is usually far behind.

Spam away if you must, I do get a kick out of it, but realistically this would make a killer daily driver that will stand the test of time. Plus it will be the ONLY one of it's kind.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
IMO, PUT A SBC IN ANYTHING, BUT DONT PUT ANYTHING IN A CHEVY. SBC OR BBC's IN CHEVY's. OR A BUICK TURBO 6. JUST $.02.

JOHN

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have to agree that some modern tech like the LT1 or LS1, but I have no objections as to something different as well.

A couple years ago, I saw a few "rat rods" with Lexus engines.

I have always liked the idea of seeing some "odd ball" engines in classic cars !!

I say go for it and keep us updated !!!

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

1 - 18 of 18 Posts