Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 76 camaro for a drive. It is about 80 outside and humid. The car now has a new custom built ATI 4800 stall 8" converter. I watched the trans temp guage reach 190 at one point. I am running Amsoil synthetic ATF in the trans.

I have heard that anything over 175ish is to hot. I have a trans cooler on it that has an electric fan built on to the cooler itself. The fan is not hooked up. I dont even know which unit it is because it was on the car when I bought the car. I am wondering if I were to get that fan going if that will keep it cooler?

If I cant get the one I already have to cool it well enough and I were to pick up a new trans cooler which one would you guys suggest? Im not going to run it through the radiator just the cooler itself.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Where is the cooler mounted that you have now? If the engine fan is not pulling air thru it you definitely should hook up the electric fan. If it's mounted to the radiator with those zip ties is the electric fan blocking the air flow? Is your engine fan mechanical or electric? If it's an electric fan it won't always be on so you'll need the fan on the trans cooler too. All the coolers that have their own fans that I've seen are pretty big. More airflow should be all you need.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't see a fan assist trans cooler not doing the job. BUT.. in the unlikely event that after you hook up the fan, it still runs hot, then run it through the radiator cooler AND the trans cooler.

Or are you saying that your radiator does not have the trans cooler, and you don't want to buy a new radiator?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say you are going to have higher Trans Temps because of your stall rating on the convertor, so 190 may be no big deal. If you are going to drive the thing on the street, I would definitely get the fan on the cooler going. You also might want to consider a bigger pan with fins so you can run more fluid which will help keep it cooler.

FWIW, my allison transmission in my dually has run that hot and more with no issues but it's designed for heavy duty hauling etc. so it can probably take the increased temps.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found out the fan on the cooler is toast. So I am going to order the biggest baddest cooler money can buy with in reason. I dont want to cook my $1200 TH350. I heard some place the plate and fin coolers are the best? anybody know?

·
Registered
136 Posts
190 Degree temps are alright for a tranny with synthetic fliud.I have a 3800 stahl TH350 and run 185-190 temps all day and no probs in 3 years.If your running at 175 with a 4800 stahl I would say no problem.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
A 4800 stall converter is going to get hot on the street. Real hot.

Any time you are driving with the RPM less than 4800, the thing is going to heat-up. Once you get above the stall speed, the temp will level off.

That's why a 4800 RPM stall torque converter sucks on the street and if you don't really need it you would be better-off using a lower stall speed converter.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have a B&M cooler that is 7.5" x 11". With the sloppy loose converter in my car now that stalls at 4400 rpm, it got up to 185-190 the last couple of days in this warm weather. I would suggest the bigger b&M unit and just mount it in front of the radiator. You could always mount two in series but with this monster I dont think you would have a problem.
B&M cooler

I would also put in a deeper pan with fins like other suggested.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_life_expectancy.asp From the TCI website. Doesn't mention synthetic fluid, which can take higher temps. Do you have a mechanical or electric engine fan? Your cooler may be big enough if it gets enough airflow from a mechanical engine fan.

That is good info right there. Looks like I am in the safe zone especially with the amsoil synthetic. I am going to go ahead and get a new bigger cooler just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 4800 stall converter is going to get hot on the street. Real hot.

Any time you are driving with the RPM less than 4800, the thing is going to heat-up. Once you get above the stall speed, the temp will level off.

That's why a 4800 RPM stall torque converter sucks on the street and if you don't really need it you would be better-off using a lower stall speed converter.

Had a 3000 stall and the it was bad on the street. Had to idle her up at 1500 to 1600 just so she would stay running at 1000 in gear. Plus the shift from park to 1st was brutal. Then I would have to hold the brakes a little harder at lights.

ATI actually recommends a 5500 stall for max performance at the track with my combination. They said since I drive on the street they would build me a tight 4800 that would work fine on the street and still hit hard at the track. They are right this 4800 is pretty tight. The car goes on its own as soon as I lift off the brake pedal.

Another factor is probably the fact I run a simple flex fan and no shroud. The flex fan is 5" away from the radiator so it surely cant be pulling to much air through the radiator. I am about to fix all of this in the next week or two.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a B&M cooler that is 7.5" x 11". With the sloppy loose converter in my car now that stalls at 4400 rpm, it got up to 185-190 the last couple of days in this warm weather. I would suggest the bigger b&M unit and just mount it in front of the radiator. You could always mount two in series but with this monster I dont think you would have a problem.
B&M cooler

I would also put in a deeper pan with fins like other suggested.

-Dan

That B&M is a beast! I have heard the plate and fin coolers work the best like that B&M. I already have a deep aluminum finned pan. :yes: Took 15 quarts of amsoil :eek:

·
Registered
188 Posts
going to get a deep pan for mine. Won't be able to flush all the fluid out. The synthetics are compatable with regular fluid aren't they? Best ones and are they worth it?

I haven't driven mine yet, but I have a cooler mounted on the front of the radiator with Electric Flex-a-lites. No trans cooler made on the radiator. Never thought about the trans getting hot separate from the motor, though I would say if the trans is hot, probably the motor is too.

I have been thinking of another cooler under the car. Maybe with a fan.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've had one of those B&M coolers on my car for quite afew years. Been running a 4500 stall with that cooler the whole time and it never got above 190 even on the hottest days. It's mounted in front of the rad with no electric fan on it just the mech fan (no shroud). I just changed to a 5500 stall, and I still think it will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts