Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of doing body work on my 71 nova and I want to make sure what kind of primer to use and at what stage! Like when do I use an eching primer or a filler primer and a sealer primer? and of course quality I DONT want to use rattle can krylon primer...any info or pictures comments would be great!!

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
A lot is gonna depend on the final top coat. Usually I use regular gray primer till I have finished the body then sand and put the recommed stuff for the final coat. :)
JR

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK but what type of primer should I use on top of Bondo? Im currently using Rage Gold body filler. when do i need to use an eching primer? and is a sealer primer the last top coat i use after all the body work? (the black looking stuff)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you are new to painting, find a paint system and stick with it. PPG's Deltron line, you start with DPLF epoxy on bare metal, then body filler and K series high build if you want high build. Finally use DAS202X in the correct color, then top coats.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
In my humble opinion, you DONT use etch primer over filler (or under it). For that matter, you just dont use etch at all.

Here was my process. Sanded down to metal. Metal work like welding and hammer/dolly work. Epoxy primer. Filler work with the rage, major block sanding. Epoxy over the filler. High build primer and a full block sanding. Then a final epoxy coat over the exposed metal (small areas) and HB primer. Ready for a pro to tune it up and shoot his preferred method of color/clear coat. And Im not saying this is the correct way to do it, just what I did. JR

Here is about two months of work.

Sanded

High build primer. Nasty stuff. Use protection.

Oh, I forgot, some guide coat too.

Some block sanding.

And the final epoxy coats, three coats.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Nothing wrong with your application JRouche, its a good choice:)

Nacho,

Don't use etch over the fillers ever as it will bite you. I like epoxy but
others will go 2k over the fillers which will work fine if your car is in a
DRY low humidity garage. 2k will still allow moisture to work thru the
primer so epoxy is better as it will not allow the moisture to get to the
metal below. Then you can do you other filling, then 2k surfacer, final
filling then 2k sealer, then paint.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts