Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are about to put a stereo in the 62 vert. dash has already been cut for the head unit, now we are just debating wheather or not to put speakers in the kickpanels or in the door panels. i think door panels will be best, i doubt the speaker can even be heard well down at your feet. putting them in the doors will also save a lot of money since we have already bought the kicker component set (6.5s).

and before people start whining about cutting the doors, who freakin cares. the dash has been cut already, these cars are meant to be enjoyed, not to be restored to original condition where you cant enjoy them (esp a stock 6 cyl car)!!!! lets see your pics!!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
i can't believe you would cut the doors and dash :eek:

j/k
i don't have any in my nova yet, but mine will be in the door and the rear package tray.
we are doing my wife's car first. just got done cutting her dash and built a rear cover with 2 6x9's, when we get around to buying some 6.5" for the front we are gonna cut the doors a little. we have some 5.5" speakers that i had in my first car 15 years ago. i don't feel like going through all the work to put them in.

just make sure that the window will roll all the way down when the speakers are where they are gonna be.
i remember my mom had a 72 mazda and the windows wouldn't roll all the way down because the speakers were in the way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just got done working on the stereo. the doors do NOT have to be kit at all, there is a hole already there towards the bottom under the vent window. you only have to cut the door panel, and we had to drill a small hole to run a tweeter wire through. the crossovers for the component sent was mounted under the dash. all we have left is to drill a hol in the door to run the wire from the door jams, and then screw the speakers in.

the CD player ran us $130 shipped from ebay. plays cds, dvds, mp3s, ipod, tv, has a backup camera hookup....real neat piece for very cheap. is also bluetooth ready. all touch screeen too. the speakers are a kicker compnent set we picked up for $60 and they sound amazing! heres some pics, dont cringe too much at the dash cutting!

what better test DVD than The Eagles

driver side crossover

pass side crossover

·
Registered
996 Posts
what tool did you use to cut out the spot for the head unit?
i screwed up my wifes car and cut on the outside of the line instead of the inside of the line. my hole is 1/16th too tall. for a temp fix i put a little jb weld on the head unit cage. probably fix it the weekend after next. lucky for me her car has a plastic trim that covers that whole area. so you can't see the jbweld, but i know it's there and it bugs me.

also that's a good looking dash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sue the exact name of the tool, but it looks just like a sawzall, only about 7 inches long. it cut the dash very easy, only took us about 2-3 minutes to get it cut and that was being VERY careful. we also used it to cut the holes in the door panels, the blade is real thin and can be turned farily easily while cutting.

·
Registered
996 Posts
not sue the exact name of the tool, but it looks just like a sawzall, only about 7 inches long. it cut the dash very easy, only took us about 2-3 minutes to get it cut and that was being VERY careful. we also used it to cut the holes in the door panels, the blade is real thin and can be turned farily easily while cutting.
similar to this?

that is what it looked like, but i couldn't tell.

i almost bought one to cut out the dash, but just used a cut off wheel. cut off wheel cut through the dash like a hot knife through butter.
i would have rather used a saw though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats the exact same one we used. same sticker and all! with it being squared on the handle, its real easy to control and wont move around on you.

·
Registered
996 Posts
cool thanks, i'll have to get one for when i cut my dash.

sorry for stealing your thread :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
if you need a stereo system your car isn't loud enough :D

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
thats the exact same one we used. same sticker and all! with it being squared on the handle, its real easy to control and wont move around on you.
XXX2 !!!! ^^^
I've got the identical one also... Never regreted buying it... Totally slick for cutting thinner metal., plastics., etc... :yes:
Not to mention: You can "make" blades for it from regular hand-held hack saw blades... :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Actually, the best place sound quality and balance wise is down by your feet in the kick panels. I do like that door location though but I think I want mine looking fairly stock. Prolly just build my own kick panels when the time comes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, the best place sound quality and balance wise is down by your feet in the kick panels. I do like that door location though but I think I want mine looking fairly stock. Prolly just build my own kick panels when the time comes.
if the speakers were able to face up towards ya i would agree, but we held them down by our feet and then on the doors, on the doors sounded much louder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just finished up the stereo and mounted the speakers and hung the door panels back on. this thing will rock for just 2 6 inch speakers and 2 tweets! the speaker location may look a little high and oddly placed, but this kept up from cutting the door metal bc there is a hole there already.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Not true, it's OK for the bass speaker to be mounted low but you always want the high frequency speaker as close to ear level as posible, this will give you a better sound stage:yes:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes and no. If you know what you are doing you can make everything in a pod that will sound perfect.

Like these Qforms. They are designed to give the best sound stage as possible..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes and no. If you know what you are doing you can make everything in a pod that will sound perfect.

:yes:
because the speaker are almost equal in distance from your ears.
only problem i have with kick panel speakers is my size 12 fat feet like to kick them.
isn't that why they are called kick panels?

however: in all my experience doing home theater setups you want all speakers at viewing height, except the bass which can be anywhere.

i like my component tweeters high in the door like where the side view mirror is.

edit: that pic looks like a 96-01 civic.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts

These might not be to bad, the tweeter is facing upwards to the listener, but I would still rather have the tweeter up higher.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts