Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are some fact you need to know about doing Ls swaps and trying to use F body accessories. They stop making the PS bracket and alt bracket. However the Alt bracket from my understanding is either back in circulation or at least soon to be. If your like me and wanted to keep the alt and A/C mounted down low then you will run into a snag if using the stock a/c compressor because of the variable clutch. So here is a simple solution for the issues above.

I found a few companies that offer billet ps brackets. I decided to go with these guys http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Built-Motors?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 I called them up and asked for a complete front drive accessory kit minus the a/c bracket and compressor. I quickly received this quote
Camaro style tensioner w/pulley-70
Camaro style HD alternator w/pulley-$135
Camaro style alternator bracket-$45
Camaro style balancer-$95
Balancer bolt- $5
Howe/Sweet style power steering pump- $190
Power steering pump bracket-$55
Power steering pump pulley-$40
Camaro style idler pulley- $25

All totally around $690 shipped.

Next item was to get the a/c headache out of the way. I knew I wanted to use the vintage air so someone mentioned
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
So I purchased his a/c bracket with a complete VA unit for my 67 using a sanden 508 compressor.

On a side note if ur converting from manual steering and your using a TCI Mii front clip then you will need a mid 80's non high performance power rack.

I hope this saves with someone a few hours of their time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the reason for using the mid 80's non high performance power rack rather than the power rack supplied from TCI? Do you have any pics of your system bolted on the motor in the front clip. Any more info would help I'm starting my ls2/TCI swap.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think the confusion about the F-Body alternator bracket is because there is an early (98 to mid year 2000) and a late bracket (mid 00 to 02.) The early bracket was discontinued because of a TSB on the idler pulley and they are not interchangeable. I found all that out last week when I ordered an F-body bracket and idler pulley. The bracket was about $40 and a gates idler pulley was $38. Gmpartsdirect had the bracket in stock. Good to know there are options out there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Holy Shnikey. THats some cash for f-body stuff. I paid 700 for a complete 5.3 with everything pan to intake and fan to flywheel. and just found the same thing for 600.00. And im using the factory ac compressor and bracket for my VA system. But looks will cost you i guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts