Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of anyone that makes these for 69's? I just saw in the latest Super Chevy that C2O has a kit for 66-67's. I think I might be able to use that since it's basically the same thing as a 3rd gen tail light, only vertical...and rounded at the top...

Think it'll work? Or does anyone know of any other companies that make them for 3rd gens?

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
Somebody has a site on "How To" LED the 3rd Gen lights as I have seen it before. Can't seem to locate it now though. You're talking about the complete lense background area not just the replacement multi LED bulb arrangement that plugs into the existing socket, huh.

Like these...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,210 Posts
What Max suggested, getting an LED replacement bulb, for your existing fixture to me would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I will be going that route when the time comes. It will be nice not having to ever change a bulb again. Plus they are brighter too. Sorta a win win IMO :)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
69NovaSS said:
What Max suggested, getting an LED replacement bulb, for your existing fixture to me would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I will be going that route when the time comes. It will be nice not having to ever change a bulb again. Plus they are brighter too. Sorta a win win IMO :)
I spent three years working on the lights on police cars and emergency vehicles. This gave me a lot of exposure to LEDs. The 1157 LED replacement bulbs aren't a good option for third gen Novas. The LED bulbs are only bright when you look at them straight on. The factory angle of the bulb fixture is wrong for this. The best option seems to be the circuit boards with bulbs attached and a plug that fits the original socket. The great thing about LEDS is they are bright, have a very long life, put off very little heat, and draw very low amperage. Because of the low amperage, your factory flasher will not work. The aftermarket has address this but a LED specific flasher should be on your shopping list if plan to change over. Some manufacturers add a resistor to their light assembly to cure this issue. I have been waiting for a LED conversion kit to be released for for these cars for years. I think a new taillight lense design would be needed to get the most out of LEDS. The original looks like it would defuse the LEDs too much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,210 Posts
tpinova said:
I spent three years working on the lights on police cars and emergency vehicles. This gave me a lot of exposure to LEDs. The 1157 LED replacement bulbs aren't a good option for third gen Novas. The LED bulbs are only bright when you look at them straight on. The factory angle of the bulb fixture is wrong for this. The best option seems to be the circuit boards with bulbs attached and a plug that fits the original socket. The great thing about LEDS is they are bright, have a very long life, put off very little heat, and draw very low amperage. Because of the low amperage, your factory flasher will not work. The aftermarket has address this but a LED specific flasher should be on your shopping list if plan to change over. Some manufacturers add a resistor to their light assembly to cure this issue. I have been waiting for a LED conversion kit to be released for for these cars for years. I think a new taillight lense design would be needed to get the most out of LEDS. The original looks like it would defuse the LEDs too much.

Nothing better then the voice of experence. That is good to know info. Thanks ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
tpinova said:
The 1157 LED replacement bulbs aren't a good option for third gen Novas. The LED bulbs are only bright when you look at them straight on. The factory angle of the bulb fixture is wrong for this. The best option seems to be the circuit boards with bulbs attached and a plug that fits the original socket. The great thing about LEDS is they are bright, have a very long life, put off very little heat, and draw very low amperage. Because of the low amperage, your factory flasher will not work. The aftermarket has address this but a LED specific flasher should be on your shopping list if plan to change over. Some manufacturers add a resistor to their light assembly to cure this issue. I have been waiting for a LED conversion kit to be released for for these cars for years. I think a new taillight lense design would be needed to get the most out of LEDS. The original looks like it would defuse the LEDs too much.
I agree with all of this. The optics on the lens is designed for incandescent bulbs. LEDs put out a different light pattern and the objective of the lens is to capture the light and toss it out there at the correct (and legal) viewing angles mandated by the FMVSS.

Although they look neat and have other benefits mentioned above, I'd never stick any behind the old lenses designed for bulbs without testing it. I want people to see my lights from all necessary angles.

Allen (safety first.... plus I work in the automotive/truck/trailer lighting industry)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, the ones in Super Chevy said it had a sort of "hard drive" for the lights, and the LED's themselves were on a type of circuit board that went behind the lens. The whole reason I want LED lights isn't because they look cool (I actually think they look kind of ugly on 3rd gens), it's because I've seen how dim my lights really are compared to new cars with LED brakes/taillights.

Just trying to make my car more visible (without getting one of those 3rd brake lights).

I also remember someone on these boards made their own LED tail lights for their car (a 3rd gen, but not sure on the year). They said they accidentally left them on overnight and the wires/lights weren't even hot the next day.

Anyone remember?

Matt
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If you are wanting more rear visibility, maybe I could suggest what I have on my car. I purchased a strip of eight LEDs under a red lense and mounted it at the top of the rear glass. This is wired directly to the brake switch under the dash (with a 10A fuse). Third brake lights have been standard on cars for twenty years now. That is longer than a large number of todays drivers have been lisensed. They are conditioned to identify this third light as 'the brake light.' Also with the thin LED strip, they are almost invisible until you touch the brake pedal. It's been good for a grin or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've thought about those, but I dunno. Not really a fan of them on older cars. I do like it on my mom and dad's cars, but on mine...I dunno.

I guess I'll look into it anyway.

Thanks,
Matt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
I made my own

Someone on this site helped me connect them correctly. They are sitting on the shelf now because the "ARE NOT" bright.I was getting the finger from everyone because they cuoldn,t see brake or tailights unless in dark. Apparently what I did wrong is I didn,t use " super bright bulbs".The cost here for regular is 10cents each and for super brights is $1.00 each.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
unless you know a bit about electronics, just buy the bulbs that have leds, the direct replacement kind....and let me know how they work :D
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
new2novas said:
unless you know a bit about electronics, just buy the bulbs that have leds, the direct replacement kind....and let me know how they work :D
A friend had some of the 1157 LED replacement bulbs so we tried them in my car. They were without question, "the dimmest taillights I have ever seem." About half as bright as the factory bulbs. Please let me clarify,"You should only run these bulbs if really want your car to be rearended." You can't see them well at all. If you are wondering why, you should read my prior posts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
tpinova said:
A friend had some of the 1157 LED replacement bulbs so we tried them in my car. They were without question, "the dimmest taillights I have ever seem." About half as bright as the factory bulbs. Please let me clarify,"You should only run these bulbs if really want your car to be rearended." You can't see them well at all. If you are wondering why, you should read my prior posts.
Many of the replacement LED bulbs, often in fine print, say for "offroad use only". I use the LED array from Technostalgia. Good bright, and very bright brake lights. Also eliminated all the bulb, ground problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a bit of info for all the 3rd gen-ers out there. I emailed Technostalgia and asked if they had a universal type of conversion or if the Camaro kit would work and they said they were working on a kit for 3rd gen Novas as we speak, and it should be ready by January 1st, 2006. Sorry it took so long to post this, not having internet really blows. :mad:

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
SuperNova69 said:
Just a bit of info for all the 3rd gen-ers out there. I emailed Technostalgia and asked if they had a universal type of conversion or if the Camaro kit would work and they said they were working on a kit for 3rd gen Novas as we speak, and it should be ready by January 1st, 2006. Sorry it took so long to post this, not having internet really blows. :mad:

Matt
Thanks. Definitely something to add to the wish list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
For what it's worth, I got some 1157 replacements through Digikey and am using them in my '65. You're right about the angle, they have to point directly towards the lense to work. As far as I can tell, there isn't much difference in brightness between the LEDs and incandescent bulbs, but I didn't give it a lot of thought, I can see the running lights durring the day with no trouble. I had thought about building my own, but for cost I couldn't justify it. I also don't know much about the different types of LEDs out there. Here's some ideas from my experience though:

The stock style blinker won't blink with the low current of the LEDs. They make electromechanical blinkers with a relay and a couple caps inside, which I was told would work. The guy at NAPA said truckers like them because they work with large loads too. I tried one on the workbench, and didn't have enough load to make it blink either. I finally found that the stock dash indicator lights were enough load to make it work.

All the 1157 replacements I've had use the same LEDs for the running light and turnsignal/brake. Because of this, you should put diodes in series on the positive side so that one element doesn't feed power through the other.

You'll need resistors to get the right voltage/current to run the LEDs on 12V, the tail light/ running light section would need more resistance to light up dimmer. The value depends on the number of individual LEDs used, and the voltage/current rating for each one.

Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
I just recently installed the Technostalgia kit for my 66 and it was definitely worth it. I also bought some 1157 replacement "24" LED's for turnsignals up front and they are OK, but definitely not suitable for brake lights. Also, I bought some of the "24 Super brite" 1156 replacement bulbs for back up lights and it was a waste of $20. I would not recommend the replacement LED bulbs for tail lights, wait for the Technostalgia kit to come out. Youl will be very happy with their kit.

Todd...full of bright ideas :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
I emailed Technostalgia about the possibility of a kit for an early Nova. Their reply was that although the demand is there, it's not going to happen, because there's not enough room in the tail light housing. Here's the quote:

(Re: 62-64 Kit)

Hi Greg - There is enough demand but not enough room in the taillight housing to install LEDs. Sorry.

Todd
Technostalgia
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top