Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded to LED lighting on their 68-69 Nova? I understand certain set ups require flasher relays and in some cases load capacitors. Thinking of led turns up front and rear. Any suggestions as far as brands, set ups, wiring, etc is all welcome! Thanx y'all!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I'd make it easy on myself and just buy one of those truck LED tail light lamps and mount it behind your lens. They're DOT approved so you won't have any issues with that. '67 and under don't have to have DOT approved lights but '68 up do.

You can find the lights here.....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/truck-tail-brake-turn/

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd make it easy on myself and just buy one of those truck LED tail light lamps and mount it behind your lens. They're DOT approved so you won't have any issues with that. '67 and under don't have to have DOT approved lights but '68 up do.

You can find the lights here.....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/truck-tail-brake-turn/

John
Thanks Novanutcase! I checked out the link, I can definitely modify the boards on these lights to fit my stock tail lights.... I often keep thinking about my old teenage years when I wanted to put camaro tail lights on a gen3 nova.... Thanks for the link again.

BTW love your ZO6 build thread!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm having problems with my tail lights too and need to get them working. How exactly do you go about upgrading to LEDs? Even when mine work they're not very bright.

I looked at the link but still don't understand how it would work.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I'm having problems with my tail lights too and need to get them working. How exactly do you go about upgrading to LEDs? Even when mine work they're not very bright.

I looked at the link but still don't understand how it would work.
For example, you could use this:

mounted behind your stock lens. The same company also sells a pigtail with the correct connector that goes out the back of the LED array. You could splice in the new pigtail to the old wiring.

Speaking of wiring, if your lights aren't very bright it could be that your wiring is getting old and not delivering the power it should be to your light fixture. If that is the case then whatever fixture you put there will be dim. Either that or something as simple as a bulb change out. I believe you are using an 1157 bayonet style bulb. The filaments on those bulbs will wear out over time which will result in a very low brightness bulb.

I'd try and run jumper wires from your fuse block to the fixture to see if the integrity of the wiring is up to snuff. If you have a multimeter on hand I would also check and see if your main power cable is providing enough power to your fuse block. If your power source is good and you're still getting a dim bulb then I would replace the bulb. Doing both of these things should give you an answer to why you are having dim bulb issues. Don't forget to clean the bulb socket contact in your stock housing so that you have a good connection to the bulb.

The LED array in the link will draw much less power than the 1157 bulb so, although it may alleviate the problem, it won't solve it as it should be bright even with a low voltage power source. Fix your power source and you may not need to run an LED array unless you like that look.

John

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
That should work great also!!:yes:

Now that I think of it I remember that you have both your stop and reverse light in the same housing so that is an even better way of doing it. :thumbsup:

John

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used the tail lights from digi tails for my 69. Kinda pricey but very unique. They flash in sequence.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the number one cause (other than bulbs) low light or light failure is a bad ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts