Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure it’s probably been discussed here, but I didn’t search through the posts. Is there an LED headlight that is a direct replacement for the ones in my ‘71? Ideally I’d like to be able to remove the stock headlight bulb and replace it with an LED. Is this even possible?

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
chewy . . . .
This is what I am going too use :

just more info . . . . . jim

ps : at this time , I am still using 'stock seal beams' .
I have changed all other lights too LED's , both front & rear lights .

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my sealed beams are fine as far as brightness. I have no issues with the brightness. I just like the LED’s and figured as a bonus the amp draw would be less. Is the relay a necessity?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I would say (almost) . . . . yes , It DOES HELP - - - - Not required , but great up-grade . I had some wiring kits from work ( we were up-dating our lights on all of our equipment ; and, those lights had up-date wiring kits with relays , sockets , extra wiring).
So, that's what I used - - those 'relays & sockets' .
Classis Ind. also have "Relay Kits with wiring & soc.kets" . . . . look at this part number : MXO11232 .
There are several post (this has been a topic on here for years ; search : MADD Electric , they have kits & wiring diagrams) . I think it does help with both u'r (stock) wiring , and makes your headlights show brighter.

Here is another interesting read about using an " LED FLASHER " . This is the 2nd one I bought & it works
. . . . . (I made no adjustments, just plugged it in) …….. makes my LED front & rear lights "flash correctly" . They DID flash with the "NAPA # 262" flasher , but were slow too flash .

just info - - - that I have already found out . When, you find things that work good, that's what we want .
I hope this helps . . . . . jim

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you haven't pulled the trigger, look at Vintage Car Leds (7" LED Headlight Kits | 5.75" LED Headlight Kits | LED Headlights). I put these in my 63 and they are great. After I had them aligned by a shop I find them almost as good as a new car led light. About the best lighting addition I have made. One thing I really like about them is, unless you really look at them you probably won't notice they are not original seal beams

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The octane lighting seems like it may be coming from China. Not 100% sure. The vintage car lights may be stocked state side. I am aware that they are probably both made in China. Anybody know?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
you can contact member " Sreavis007 " he used those 'Octane Lights' in his 72 . Been a while . . . . . maybe he can give us an-up date ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, that would be great. Maybe he’ll chime in. I don’t have a problem with the Octane lights. They are definitely cheaper than the vintage cars brand. Not sure if that’s a reflection of the quality or not.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I kept my sealed beams but I did switch over to a relay system which improved the brightness a whole lot. There are several posts on here about that conversion. It's really not hard to do at. Since my car had already been converted to an internal voltage regulator I took that opportunity to find a used regulator in the junk yard, the old original style, not the newer flat ones, and I hid my 2 relays inside the box after gutting it and mounted it back in the factory spot. So, nobody sees the relays and my wiring system looks original to the casual observer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used truck lites in my nova, Harley and Jeep. I sell a lot of them to truckers, they love them. Maxxima and grote makes food lights too. These companies all manufacture lights for big rigs and are quality. I prefer truck lite as they do oem manufacturing and like the darker housings. The one on my Harley has been shaking for 5 years strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Street Rod HQ has an extensive choice and price is right. You can order with DRL's, turn signals and other options in your lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m sure it’s probably been discussed here, but I didn’t search through the posts. Is there an LED headlight that is a direct replacement for the ones in my ‘71? Ideally I’d like to be able to remove the stock headlight bulb and replace it with an LED. Is this even possible?
I got a pair of LED's from United Pacific. Throw great light and each has a horizontal bar across the center. On this bar you have a choice of white light for a daytime running light or an amber light for a turn signal. Plug and play installation. Only additional wiring needed is for the daytime running light or turn signal whichever you choose. I liked them so much on my '70 Nova that I installed a pair on my '37 Ford.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would say (almost) . . . . yes , It DOES HELP - - - - Not required , but great up-grade . I had some wiring kits from work ( we were up-dating our lights on all of our equipment ; and, those lights had up-date wiring kits with relays , sockets , extra wiring).
So, that's what I used - - those 'relays & sockets' .
Classis Ind. also have "Relay Kits with wiring & soc.kets" . . . . look at this part number : MXO11232 .
There are several post (this has been a topic on here for years ; search : MADD Electric , they have kits & wiring diagrams) . I think it does help with both u'r (stock) wiring , and makes your headlights show brighter.

Here is another interesting read about using an " LED FLASHER " . This is the 2nd one I bought & it works
. . . . . (I made no adjustments, just plugged it in) …….. makes my LED front & rear lights "flash correctly" . They DID flash with the "NAPA # 262" flasher , but were slow too flash .

just info - - - that I have already found out . When, you find things that work good, that's what we want .
I hope this helps . . . . . jim
What is the LED flasher you use? Do you have a part number,etc.?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Hey Ghettoman . . . . . . . . . . yes . . I Do . Look here - - I bought it from Amazon like $ 12.00 & free shipping , a few years ago . You can see the " adjustment screw " on the
'Flasher ' - - - - - I Did - Not adjust anything - - - - just plugged it in about 3 years ago . Works great .
Look here :

I hope this helps - - - so far - - a really good product & price . . . . . . . . . later , jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts