Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
13,265 Posts
Geez, the more I read about the Acadian SD, the more bad I feel for even suggesting that I convert it to a Nova SS. Apparently no records were kept on production numbers of the SD model, but estimates are somewhere between 100-400 produced, which is crazy, when thinking about the tens of thousands of Novas made. So I decided to spend the money and get it professionally restored (as an Acadian). Only problem is, we can't find the wide fender/door trim. Didn't realize how rare it really was.
Do you have GM Vintage Services documentation for your car? Costs money, but will give you valuable info on it's build and some production numbers (no info on SD, though). Second 'sticky' from the top in the Canadian Forum is a link to this documentation service.

As for the side trim, check with Menno Weisehahn in Aldergrove, B.C. He has a big stash of Acadian parts. He may not have this trim, but can give you some other contacts. He's at 604-856-5526 or [email protected]

Bob

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd say definitely leave it. You can swing a dead cat and hit a dozen Novas and SSs, an Acadian not even close. If it drives you absolutely nuts that you can't find the trim, but you just want the car done, get what you can and then do a resto-mod and run it with most of the trim gone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As for the side trim, check with Menno Weisehahn in Aldergrove, B.C. He has a big stash of Acadian parts. He may not have this trim, but can give you some other contacts. He's at 604-856-5526 or [email protected]

Bob
I have been in contact with him for weeks, he has a partial set of trim, and we are trying to piece a full set together, so today I agreed to buy what ever he has and it looks like we can get a somewhat close set to work. So good news.

The missing trims are costing me a lot, but it's important to get as much of it as right as I can. I can't imagine there is going to be vary many of these cars springing up anymore, if at all.

But the previous owner of my car, hoarded a lot of good parts, so if guys need any, I have quite a few duplicates available of some rare items.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
nice, very nice. i'll say at a car show that would grab my eye faster than a nova SS. both are still good looking cars but i know how rare your is. an i do like the back up lights in the bumper, because they are different. enjoy the cruse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Acadian value

So interesting tidbit..

So I got the appraisal back, you can see what the car has into it roughly, in parts alone. Appraiser gave it a value of approximately 1/2 of what it cost me to build it. It has yet to see the road even.

His reasoning was, even though it is rare, he said demand for Acadians is very low, he said had it been a real nova SS, it would have been worth substantially more.
I guess he is correct, as I have it entered in ROTM, and it is tied for last place with an unrestored 6 cyl nova that has two transmission shifters installed and a bed sheet seat cover (no offence to that guy at all!). But I guess 'mericans just don't like Acadians.

So this kinda sucks, because insurance is now only gonna give a little over half of the value of the parts alone (everything is brand new, less body), would suck if it go missing or something happen to write it off.

I guess I'll have to keep her forever! (Not the worst thing!).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Like anything...might want to get a second opinion. If you don't mind me asking...what was the # he came up with? Can PM me
So it was for $55K.
So, I said "wuht? Really? I always seen appraisals way higher than what I'd ever pay for them at fair market value", but apparently Acadians are undesirable.

This car has over $80K in parts alone, plus the price of the car, plus labour to build it all. Everything is brand new, minus a few tidbits here and there, it's not a weekender rebuild, everything was re-chromed, polished, or new. The entire drivetrain and suspension is new and ready for anything.

Anyone that knows anything, knows what's it costs to build a car just like this, I could see $55K if it has a stock driveline and brakes, stock electrics and instruments.

Few more shots, still making a custom carpet panel to cover subwoofer and battery area... thinking of making a huge Acadian symbol, like one on the grill, out of mdf, then using ALSA paints to make it look chrome, then place it centred on the panel.. would be a cool custom touch, no?

The '67 I am working on..just ordered most the parts for it, it's already at $90K in parts, and I haven't even started metal work yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, as a 1964 Acadian Invader station wagon owner, some of the trim maybe difficult to find, but you you will have a very unique car. I know a guy, Menno in Langley, British Columbia Canada. He has lots of trim parts he may part with. His phone number is 778-255-6682. Good luck. Rob.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts