Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey all... Please have patience with me. haha. Have a read a see if you can help. Cheerz

I am Jonney. I have never built a car and know next to nothing about building one up and the killer world you are all a part of.

:turn: I AM (on the other hand) soon to buy a 69/70 Nova Salvaged or Used condition to be used in a design.. It wont have any engine, transmission or Seats. Just exterior design.

First, I love the car thats why I am here. I have spend the last 5 Days cramming as much info about the models and variations as possible so I can end up with the model & design I want!

The trouble I am having is I am worried that the body shape of some I see for sale is not what I am looking for even that the YEAR and MODEL match.

Here are references for what I want to end up with:

(without the vent) IS THIS A 73?

(main reference / obvious one)

(a little clean but in the area)

--

BODY SHAPES:

For the cars I listed as references, is there a specific Year, Model or Body Type used? Because some listings look more 'square' than these listed and some are different years completely & look bang on!

eg:One of the above was listed as a 1973:

And this looks like the 1970 FRONT and SHAPE to me..

This is also 1973 but looks so different, I am to believe the colour and finish are the only things different in this shape and size?:

A When I google 1973 Nova I get this: - Did the ones above change the front to the 70's Parts?

---

And Lastly Some NOVAs look more 'SQUARE' to me online than in my references. Could this be down to the photo and the paint finish or are there more 'Rounded' models WITHIN the 1970's Year NOVAs?

1970 - Round how I like:

1971 More 'Squared Edged' :

Are these both the same and I am seeing it differently? - have yet to seen these or any face to face sadly.

That will all change soon. Your help can shave a few days off my search :)

Cheerz to anyone who can help.. Jonney

·
Registered
866 Posts
73-74 have the "egg crate" grill and lost the "eyebrow" chrome fender trim in front. They also have the larger quarter windows, molded plastic door panels and headliner, big and ugly shock absorbing bumpers. A fair number of them were hatchbacks as well.
To me they lack the graceful lines of the 68-72 models.
68 is an oddball year, many parts such as dash, heat controls and such are one year only.
69-72 to me is the sexiest body style. 69 retained the small side markers like the 68 had, 70 brought the larger side marker lights and was the last year for the fender louvers. As a general rule 69-72 most parts are interchangeable, interiors had slight differences year to year.
Front fenders, core supports, inner fenders will all interchange 68-74 with the differences in bumpers, marker lights and the 73-74 grill and fender trim(eyebrows).

The black primed car is a 70-72, the green is a 73-74 definitely.

Some have swapped out the grills and such to get a 69-72 look to a 73-74.

The only dead bang way to confirm the year is by the VIN, the 6th digit from the left is the model year

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
73-74 have the "egg crate" grill and lost the "eyebrow" chrome fender trim in front. They also have the larger quarter windows, molded plastic door panels and headliner, big and ugly shock absorbing bumpers. A fair number of them were hatchbacks as well.
To me they lack the graceful lines of the 68-72 models.
68 is an oddball year, many parts such as dash, heat controls and such are one year only.
69-72 to me is the sexiest body style. 69 retained the small side markers like the 68 had, 70 brought the larger side marker lights and was the last year for the fender louvers. As a general rule 69-72 most parts are interchangeable, interiors had slight differences year to year.
Front fenders, core supports, inner fenders will all interchange 68-74 with the differences in bumpers, marker lights and the 73-74 grill and fender trim(eyebrows).

The black primed car is a 70-72, the green is a 73-74 definitely.

Some have swapped out the grills and such to get a 69-72 look to a 73-74.

The only dead bang way to confirm the year is by the VIN, the 6th digit from the left is the model year
I agree, 69 - 72 is the era I love the most. I am glad to know the ones I love outside of that era have had the parts switched on them for the look..

I am glad I will be able to customize a 71 to be more like a 69 or vice versa :)

Don't think I need to match VINs now after you confirmed that.

Cheerz mate, that was a great help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always look at the rear side windows, (Quarter windows), because the 73-74 are very different than the 68-72.

Even if someone has put 68-72 front sheetmetal on a 73-74 and changed the taillight panel, the quarter windows are always a dead giveaway. Compare the pics and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts