Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a coil bracket that will allow me to mount my Pertronix coil
vertically and onto the rear of the intake manifold. This coil has a 2.125" diameter
so I've been looking for a bracket that is 2.250" in order to be large enough for the
coil. I finally found an MSD brand that will fit my diameter need but it leans the coil
over to some degree. I need for the coil to stand straight up. So far the only few
that I've seen that stand straight up do not list the diameter capability in their info
charts. Only that they are GM OEM design.

In my search I saw a lot of brackets that lean and it got me to wondering why they
were made that way. Does anyone know why these manufacturers built them like
that?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
:unsure::unsure::unsure:No clue on either account. It may be for clearance of the air cleaner or something like that at the back of the intake where it is typically mounted, at least on a stock pre-HEI car. They're oil-filled so not sure that has anything to do with it and the collapse of the field but it doesn't make sense to me as if a car is moving, turning, braking, accelerating, it wouldn't make any difference to the coil's position of 10° tilt or straight up... Not a clue. If I needed a straight-up coil, the old band saw, welder and some nice paint, powder coating or other finish would be my first step.

·
6,879 Posts
Something like this is what you are looking at ?

If so, find something round you can clamp it to then put one ear at a time in a smooth jaw vise and square the tabs up to the round portion. Then flip the bracket around and clamp the other ear in a vise and do the same thing.

These things are nothing more than stamped steel and if it's chrome though, the chrome may crack but who's to say with the chineseum chrome on stuff today.

Jim

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been looking for a coil bracket that will allow me to mount my Pertronix coil
vertically and onto the rear of the intake manifold. This coil has a 2.125" diameter
so I've been looking for a bracket that is 2.250" in order to be large enough for the
coil. I finally found an MSD brand that will fit my diameter need but it leans the coil
over to some degree. I need for the coil to stand straight up. So far the only few
that I've seen that stand straight up do not list the diameter capability in their info
charts. Only that they are GM OEM design.

In my search I saw a lot of brackets that lean and it got me to wondering why they
were made that way. Does anyone know why these manufacturers built them like
that?
I have used that MSD bracket on a Petronix coil going on 12 years and it's still fine. I'm also going to be honest, I've mounted those coils horizontally many times and never had a leak or failure.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I guess all the talk on the internet about the Pertronix coils needing to be mounted in
a vertical position is what was throwing me off. I was thinking they meant straight up vertical instead of a few
degrees off center like just about all the intake mounted brackets that I see offered. Leave it to me to misunderstand
what is obvious.

I've dug around in my old rusty parts boxes and can't find the original coil bracket that I took off of my 283 engine.
As best as I can remember it was very rusty so I may have just thrown it into the scrap metal pile thinking surely
I'll be able to buy one later in time.

Does anyone know what the original early '60s bracket look like? Was it a straight up or leaning design?

Looking at the MSD bracket it looks like it'd be the right size to accommodate the 2.125" Flame Thrower III coil
I want to use.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,181 Posts
Honestly, I think your coil will be fine mounted with the slight tilt in the vertical position.
The reason I have heard to mount oil filled coils this way is for cooling purposes, as the heat in the coil oil rises to the top to dissipate. I don't think the mounting position is to prevent leaks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, all the factory coil brackets lean the coil back a bit, to clear the stock enclosed air cleaner base. You won't find a straight up version for manifold mounting, just a universal for firewall mounting with the ears on the sides instead of the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the MSD coil bracket in today along with the Pertronix III 44011 coil. I removed the screw and
stretched the bracket out some, installed the coil and re-installed the screw. It screwed into the threaded
hole of the bracket and tightened onto the coil with a few threads sticking through. Perfect fit.

Guys, you were correct about the leaning of the bracket. I finally found a couple of photos last night of the
original coil and bracket on my 283 intake and it was leaning to the rear toward the firewall. Maybe leaning
slightly will not cause a problem with the pertronix coil. Thanks for straightening me out. (y)
Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts