Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello you guys. I leaned out the carburator (edelbrock 1406) and I hear pinging at part-throttle. Before I go and change one stage richer to stop what I think is a lean ping, Should I change the timing? Maybe that would make the ping go away?

If so, retard or advance the timing?

Thanks.

Elias.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Hello you guys. I leaned out the carburator (edelbrock 1406) and I hear pinging at part-throttle. Before I go and change one stage richer to stop what I think is a lean ping, Should I change the timing? Maybe that would make the ping go away?

If so, retard or advance the timing?

Thanks.

Elias.
Whats your timing now?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You want to retard the timing when there is pinging. But since your timing is already pretty low, I think richening the mixture back up would be best if you weren't having problems before. The 1406 is already tuned for economy out of the box. No need to go any leaner IMO.

-Dan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You want to retard the timing when there is pinging. But since your timing is already pretty low, I think richening the mixture back up would be best if you weren't having problems before. The 1406 is already tuned for economy out of the box. No need to go any leaner IMO.

-Dan
Alrighty, thanks.

btw, 1406 still a bit rich for the 305.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts