Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the return hose fitting coming out of my power steering gear box on my 71 is leaking like the bath tub in my college apartment. It is coming right out of the place where the return hose threads into the gear box.

Problem is the hoses are VERY rusted to the geat box. The car has only 60k original miles but was driven in Wisconsin! :eek:

does anyone have special tricks for dealing with these flare nuts when they are stuck before I attack it?

I've already tried flare nut wrenches, won't budge. What if I cut the line close to the nut and then use a socket wrench?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
NovaNate said:
What if I cut the line close to the nut and then use a socket wrench?
Hi Nate,

That's usually what I do in cases when the old line is not worth saving and a flare wrench feels like it will round the nut off before breaking it loose. I prefer to use 6 point sockets though. The 12 point sockets seem to have more of a tendency to round the corners off of stuck 6 point fasteners. In cases where the nut is rusted down smaller than normal, I've sometimes found it necessary to hammer the next size smaller socket or a metric socket onto the nut. Use a thickwall impact socket if you need to do this ... regular sockets can split open with this kind of abuse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts