Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 74 nova with a gm 10 bolt and the passenger side axle tube is leaking from the brake side. I pulled the wheel off and drum off and the axle is sticking out about an 1/8 of an inch for where it normally would be. I pulled off the differential cover and everything looked just fine in there minus about 2 quarts of fluid. When I turn the axle it makes a knocking noise, I believe because the axle has got a bit of play in it. Would changing the bearings/ seal on that side solve the problem?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated since it's kinda my daily driver.

·
Registered
20,150 Posts
The bearing is in the housing and no it won't change endplay. If the end of the axle is worn or the crosspin that keeps them in is worn you could have some extra endplay. If you get too much your c-clips could come loose. You have to pull the bolt (5/16") out of the crosspin and then push the crosspin in about a 1/4-1/2" and then spin the gears around until the crosspin faces you. You can then pull it out and check it. Once the pin is out all you have to do is push the axles in and pull the c-clips then pull the axles. Most axles will have a little endplay anyways. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
You need to pull both axles and inspect them,if the axles are grooved or pitted installing new bearings will be short lived,if they are worn you can replace the axle,or install an offset axle saver bearing,you need to also inspect the carrier assembly and all internal parts in the diff for wear,Do it once and do it right.:ragtop:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.