Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Has anyone ever seen or heard of an intake manifold leaking? I was cleaning my intake(new to me, from ebay but very clean and in the box) and drying it off with compressed air. I was blowing out the carb stud holes and saw bubbling around the flange mounting surface, and noticed some little pits in the machined surface.

I spoke with several people and they said it should be fine. I just got the car running this afetrnoon and it sounded like it had a vacuum leak. It would idle crappy then great and so on. But with everything going on I didn't have time to look more into it, as I ran out of trans fluid after 7 quarts. I did a cam, head, trans and converter swap. Thought I had more.:no:

I got some more trans fluid and will look at it tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
of course you know your going to have to post video of your new monster. if your worried use some a & b epoxy to fix the problem. them engine master guys use it in the manifolds to fix turbulance problems and it should be fine with the chemicals ( gas , radiator fluid, water , oil )

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Sounds like a factory "blem" sold as new on Ebay. Casting porosity can be fixed with epoxy or welding. There is a liquid sealer, that I read about somewhere, that requires making block off plates and pressurizing the manifold. The liquid is forced into the pores until it hardens.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've had oil pooled up in the valley under the carb (Super Victor intake) after getting off the freeway--an hour later, it's gone! Can't see where it comes from or where it goes.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Has anyone ever seen or heard of an intake manifold leaking? I was cleaning my intake(new to me, from ebay but very clean and in the box) and drying it off with compressed air. I was blowing out the carb stud holes and saw bubbling around the flange mounting surface, and noticed some little pits in the machined surface.

I spoke with several people and they said it should be fine. I just got the car running this afetrnoon and it sounded like it had a vacuum leak. It would idle crappy then great and so on. But with everything going on I didn't have time to look more into it, as I ran out of trans fluid after 7 quarts. I did a cam, head, trans and converter swap. Thought I had more.:no:

I got some more trans fluid and will look at it tomorrow after work.
If you're worried about there being porosity in the intake and causing a small vacuum leak then I'd just get it powder coated. A Good heavy coating should be enough to effectively give it a "Seal Coat".

BUT......I'd also check the port alignment as well!!! If the intake is sitting a little too high then you can be sucking air from the lifter valley.:yes: That's the one major issue I have with buying a used intake is you never know who's had what surfaced or bolted down wrong and warped a flange.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and the link. I am going to go check it out and see whats up. I called Edelbrock and left a message with the warranty/claims dept but I haven't heard anything back as of yet.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with a guy from Edlebrock and he said if I can find the leak and then send him the manifold they will check it and if it is indeed a casting flaw they will replace the intake.

I have still not had a chance to check it out, but I'll keep ya posted.:yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts