Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Is the seal dry rotted or missing?

Is this a stock or rebuilt transmission? You might have an over pressured system that is causing this issue.

Does the transmission have the correct fluid level? Is it over serviced?

I've looked on-line and alot of suggestions I've read said to replace the grommet and move on without using RTV. Are ou sure it's definitely the dip stick grommet and not the tranny cooler lines or the T.V. cable line?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are you using the factory dipstick tube for this trans? I believe the 700s came with the later tophat/boot type seal, which was better than the O-ring. However, if you are using a tube that has an O-ring, then I would stay away from the Dorman stuff. Earlier this year I discovered that Dorman O-rings are a loose fit in this application. I am not sure how good or bad their boot seals fit though. Here is my thread on the O-ring issue:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200111

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the seal dry rotted or missing?

Is this a stock or rebuilt transmission? You might have an over pressured system that is causing this issue.

Does the transmission have the correct fluid level? Is it over serviced?

I've looked on-line and alot of suggestions I've read said to replace the grommet and move on without using RTV. Are ou sure it's definitely the dip stick grommet and not the tranny cooler lines or the T.V. cable line?
The seal was missing (did not relize/ know any better) when i put it in. Also i was mis-informed by some guys i trusted at Napa. The told me to stack a couple of O rings on it and it would seal.

It is a rebuilt trans by C the Docter transmissions.

correct fluid level

Had a leaking collent line, but fixed that problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts