Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at doing a 4 link but now that the torque arm is available for the 12 bolt may go that route. What would be the best fit for a 66 hardtop that sees a lot of track time and a lot of street time. Maybe 550 hp now and looking to add more. Would like to eventually run 6.50 1/8 mile and bottom 10's 1/4 mile. Running a TKO600 now and plan on staying with the stick. Biggest problem I see with the torque arm is it looks like it weighs a ton !!! As far as ground clearance I always thought the shock mounts even looked too low even on the 4 link. Is there a way they can be raised some ?

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
The TCI Torque-arm is best for handling. If you were going to Autocross and do street driving too I would recommend the Torque-arm. For drag racing and street driving the 4-link is best. It will hook great on the strip and handle well on the street especially if you add the rear sway bar. It has 1.25" diameter bars. I have sold several to guys with 10 second cars.
Tim

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Auto cross just street and strip. I do want it to handle good because now it does not. I have leafs and the CPP mini sub frame now and although better then stock I still wouldn't say it handles good. I also like the adjustably of coil overs. Do you know what the weight difference is between the 4 link and torque arm / Thanks !!

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
No Auto cross just street and strip. I do want it to handle good because now it does not. I have leafs and the CPP mini sub frame now and although better then stock I still wouldn't say it handles good. I also like the adjustably of coil overs. Do you know what the weight difference is between the 4 link and torque arm / Thanks !!
Tim hit the nail on the head as far as what is best for your needs. The 4-link will work excellent at the strip, great on the street and actually pretty darn good at the autocross as well.

I'll try and get the shipping weights for both tomorrow when the shipping guys get in. That kind of info is great for our Tech thread. :yes:

There is plenty of ground clearance with the shock mounts even with cars running small diameter tires(under 25") and having the shocks on the lowest setting.

-J

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
There was a 4-link in will call so I threw it on the scale. Sal's stock leafs were sitting in the back of his car and there was a bin of items sitting next to it that looked appropriate. The shocks were MIA so I grabbed a set of rear shocks off the shelf. I also added in some leaf spring axle tabs not that they made much difference. The shipping guys had just packed up a Torque Arm so I wasn't able to weight it. I'll check again tomorrow.

-J

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
IMO AND MY :2cents: THE 4 LINK IS YOUR BEST BET FOR WHAT YOU WANNA DO, I PLAN ON DOIN' THE SAME AND I HAVE A 4 LINK, AND LOOKIN' TO GET A REAR SWAY BAR. I HAVE THE CBR FRONT AND FRONT AND REAR ADJUSTABLE COIL OVERS, I PLAN ON HOOKING AND RIDING LIKE A CADDY :devil:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If your main goal is to have a fun street car that hooks at the track there is no mystery to making the leaf spring rear suspension work. All these rear suspension kits are a great option for what they are intended for but leafs can and have been going fast since forever:)

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for getting those weights for me !!! My car is a stick car so it is a bit more difficult to hook. The other main reason I want to change is for the adjustability of coil overs. The problem with leafs is once installed you got what you got. No ride height adjustment .

·
Registered
131 Posts
There was a 4-link in will call so I threw it on the scale. Sal's stock leafs were sitting in the back of his car and there was a bin of items sitting next to it that looked appropriate. The shocks were MIA so I grabbed a set of rear shocks off the shelf. I also added in some leaf spring axle tabs not that they made much difference. The shipping guys had just packed up a Torque Arm so I wasn't able to weight it. I'll check again tomorrow.

-J
Did you get the shipping weight of the torque arm???Just curious

1 - 13 of 13 Posts