Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm ready to spend some money on the rear suspension. Its a 66 HT with a 6.0l LQ4 and most likely the 4L60e. Already have the CBR front modular setup, rear has been mini tubbed and gonna run 315/35/17. Its not going to be a ground pounder and i plan on only around 450-500 hp at the flywheel. This will be a fun car but I have plans on getting into autocross as a hobby, not really competetively.

Anyway, like alot of us, money is always an issue (especially during these times). So, i would love to buy the CBR tri-4 link but thats $2k. I'm wondering if I can buy new leaf springs, move them inboard and attach the rears via sliders and still have it handle pretty decently for autocross. Furthermore, which springs, mono, split mono, multi?

I was considering the Caltrac split monos but keep reading about how its great for drag racing, which this car will not be built for. I also dont want it too stiff because it will live most of its life on the street as a spirited driver car.

I may be looking for a unicorn and just have to keep saving for the CBR setup but was wondering if any SNS members might have gone this route and what real experience has to contribute.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's a leaf spring, doesn't matter what body it is under.....guys with 1st and 2nd Gen Camaro/Firebird Trans Am have been road racing a autocrossing a leaf spring rear for 50 years now.

Try looking at 1st Gen Camaro stuff to get an idea of what can be done, you don't need some fancy link rear suspension to keep up.

Polyurethane or better yet Del-Alum front eye bushing, Landrum or similar solid mono spring in the rate you'll need, rear sliders instead of shackles, good shocks, and possibly a small anti-roll bar..
When you move the spring inboard, make the front mount height adjustable, to raise the eye up into the body higher, it may prove very helpful.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ericnova, actually called Global West a few days ago and he told me they dont currently have anyone making leaf springs for them and didnt know when they would. I wanted to look at their Cat5 leafs because they roll/articulate.

I will look into the Landrums and I'm gonna call Flex-form Monday as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts