Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my new multi leaf springs in today with the installation kit :D
i got 4 "U" bolts in the kit...but it looks like my brake lines will be in the way. it did come with "T" bolts but only 4 of them....i think i'd need 8 right? :eek:
if i can get the brake line out of the way a bit could i use one "u" bolt and 2 "t" bolts on each side?? :confused:

any other "helpful" tips for removal/installation is appreciated as well!!

thanks guys!

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's how mine is set up one u bolt each and two t bolt per side

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
There is enough flex in the brake line if you remove the mounting bolt at the pumkin on the axle. This will allow you to slide the u-bolts under the brake line. I used two u-bolts on each side. Just my :2cents:

:ragtop:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RJ - did you put the "U" bolt on the inside or the outside??

TMack - i'm gonna try and move the brake line around to get the "U" bolts on but my only worry is the line rubbing against the "U" bolt after time.....

it may work out like this...."T" bolts on outside and "U" bolts on inside....if i can't get both "U" bolts to work....

any other pointers you guys have....like do this part first or that part last or don't tighten this part up till that part does a flim flam kinda thing??

thanks for the feedback :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just got done swapping my 10 bolt for a ford 9inch in my 77 Skylark. The U-bolt go outside and the T bolts go inside on mine. Here is a link to photo bucket and some pics of the change over.
I wouldn't tighten anything down until I got everything in the right place and properly lined up. Take the shocks loose first and take most of the strain off the springs.

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/a...9&page=1&_suid=137162216867005970768398108637

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
T bolts are weak and you don't want to run them if you don't have to. Just bend the brake line up a little and slide the u bolts under them and all will be fine. You are over thinking it if you think the brake line will get a hole rub in it from the U bolt!:yes:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
RJ - did you put the "U" bolt on the inside or the outside??

TMack - i'm gonna try and move the brake line around to get the "U" bolts on but my only worry is the line rubbing against the "U" bolt after time.....
You will not have any rubbing issues as the brake lines will bend into the position that you need them. I would use both u-bolts as the will be the stronger choice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I got one spring in....
There seems to be space between where the two plates meet and "sandwich" the springs. I know this is because I'm going from a mono to a multi spring....
The question is...should there be some sort of spacer there?? Or is it ok to have that gap there?? By the way it looks I don't think the spring would ever slip side to side but is this still right?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Ok I got one spring in....
There seems to be space between where the two plates meet and "sandwich" the springs. I know this is because I'm going from a mono to a multi spring....
The question is...should there be some sort of spacer there?? Or is it ok to have that gap there?? By the way it looks I don't think the spring would ever slip side to side but is this still right?
It's a 50/50 split as to using a spacer or leaving the gap. I did not use a spacer and when the u-bolts where torqued to specs the gap was very small. The leafs will not move side to side when everything is in place and tight.

:pics: of your rear end work!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TMack thanks for the heads up. i've seen some videos of mono to multi swaps and saw spacers that's why i was asking.

got both springs finally in after picking at it after work this week. took my time to make sure i was messing anything up....like put the first spring on and then remembered i was supposed to go OVER the emergency brake cable...:eek: :eek: and so on and so on.

then took it for a test drive and everything was good. :yes:

thanks for your input guys. it's nice to have a place to go for some input when ya get stuck or just need some advice!
appreciate it a ton!
now...what to do next......

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
T bolts are weak and you don't want to run them if you don't have to. Just bend the brake line up a little and slide the u bolts under them and all will be fine. You are over thinking it if you think the brake line will get a hole rub in it from the U bolt!:yes:
T-Bolts came stock. G.M. used them, not weak

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
T-Bolts came stock. G.M. used them, not weak
I realize they came stock which is why I recommended the U-bolts, the T bolts are very weak!!!:yes: There is a lot of stuff the factory did back then that needs changed and this is one of them if you plan driving your car hard at all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts