Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm transplanting a multi-leaf rear end from a 73 into my 71 and plan to complete the job in the coming days.

Should I leave the springs hooked to the axle and install the entire assembly at once? Or should I install the springs first then attach the axle?

Should I install the front eye-bolt brackets then install the shackle end? Or should I install the schackle end, then the front eye-bolt brackets?

If there are any tricks please share your experience!! Thanks!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
not that i'm a pro... but i'd hook the front of spring to the perch first on both sides, slide in the diff while floating on jack and affix pads/plates then lift diff/spring assy with the jack... lastly assemble the rear shackles... then e brake and lines etc of course ;)

my reasoning for this install is the times i tried to do as a unit, by myself... ta line up the spring on one side with everything else still on diff, balancing on the jack can get a bit tricky... if it falls off the jack, it wouldn't be fun... i found doing the other way better for me... others may be more proficient and have a better method...

having an extra set of hands would possibly change my install procedure...

hope i helped

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 78 Nova and I just replaced the leaf springs. I found it easier to mount the shackle to the chassis first and then lift the leaf spring up to the shackle and then bolt that in. I had the rear end up on jack stands in the original position and just disconnected the leaf springs individually. It seemed to work pretty well. It was a little tight up top with the gas tank and the body/chassis elements, but nothing an open ended wrench couldn't fix.

I hoped that helped a little.

Joe
:chev:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
NovaNate said:
I'm transplanting a multi-leaf rear end from a 73 into my 71 and plan to complete the job in the coming days.

Should I leave the springs hooked to the axle and install the entire assembly at once? Or should I install the springs first then attach the axle?

Should I install the front eye-bolt brackets then install the shackle end? Or should I install the schackle end, then the front eye-bolt brackets?

If there are any tricks please share your experience!! Thanks!
try to place the diff/axle in the approximately position, mount front perches and attach the front of the springs to the front perches, mount the axle pads/plates/u bolts loosely to the axle and springs, raise the rear of the springs to the shackles (may need to raise or lower the axle while doing this), loosely bolt them in, check rough rear end alignment (f to b, and side to side), get all of these close, snug up but not too tight, raise the axle/diff and hook up the shocks. tighten all down while keeping some rough alignment measurements. peen over the u bolts, attach all lines. to complete the job take the car of an alignment shop that can do whole frame alignments, does wonders to eliminate the "dog tracking" and is really needed to go with a front end alignment. best of luck.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Remember to leave the spring eye and shackle bolts loose untill you put it on the ground (ride height). If you tighten the bolts up while the wheels are off the ground, the spring bushings will take a "set" in that position. This can tear the bushings up or at the least give the car a funny feel as the bushings are twisted or torqued already at the ride height.......

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of this advice, it is very useful! I will plan to finish the install early next week, so anyone with any more advice before then I would be glad to hear it!:D

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I did it just like sthole said. It was easy, and I had no help. Just the car on jack stands and diff on floor jack.:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just got doing this same job. I bolted the rear end to the leafs, put the wheels on it and rolled it underneath the car. I bolted up the front eyes first and then lowered the car down to bolt in the rears. Worked out great and the whole process took about an hour. More time was spent on getting the new brake lines to go in then the rear end!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts