Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, another leaf spring question. I am looking to replace my stock mono leafs since I have heard they are no good especially when upgrading to a V8 with some decent hp. I just talked to Rudy at Modern Performance and he said I would be fine using the original ones, he said to get them de-arched at Devers in Santa Ana if I want to lower the rear. I called Devers and he said 9 times out of 10 they break when they try to de-arch them. So what's the deal, is anyone using the stock monoleafs with some decent hp? The car is going to be a weekend cruiser so I do not need anything for strip use. Any advice on which way to go, multi-leafs, stock monos, or aftermarket monos????

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Actually most of the people on here running high hp are running monos...I'm not sure what brand or anything but I'd stick with the monos.

Jason

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I could see the problem with de-arching a mono leaf. It is thicker than the individual leafs in a multi leaf set up so it would require more heat. I'm also with Jason on noticing most people prefer the Mono over the multi leaf, but if you start throwing in options like a four link, ladder bars, .... Then I don't think any basic leaf spring holds a chance of being better.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a 62 wagon with the monoleaf set up and have about 450hp and with traction bars it hooks up well and rides around town ok

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. But I am wondering if anyone is using a de-arched ORIGINAL STOCK mono-leafs? You know the ones from 1963. I could do as Rudy says and use the stock ones and get them de-arched to acheive the ride height I want but I want to make sure it will last and I won't run into any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts