Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading in the paper this morning where NASCAR and ARCA will be testing unleaded racing fuel in the next couple weeks. The plan is to run a couple BUSCH races and ARCA events so the engine builders can see how the engines do with it then go back to lead while they evaluate that. Seems to me if NASCAR drops the leaded gas the suppliers will stop providing it. If you're considering a new motor be thinking that it may need to run unleaded. RM

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Just purely speculating here but would the lack of lead in racing fuel really effect racing motors all that much....I mean most of the issues with nonleaded fuels (other then the decrease in octain) is that the valves lack lubrication and wear out faster....most racing motors will not see the 10,000 miles of so that it normally takes for this to be a problem before they are rebuilt...at the high end of racing they are rebuilt after every race...and even in the sportmen classes most dont run the same motor for more then a season or two before a rebuild would happen...long before 10,000 miles would ever be reached....besides just adding hardened valve seats normally corrects this I believe....or are there other problems with removing the lead that I'm unaware of:confused: :)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Will it hurt anything running leaded race fuel with heads setup for unleaded fuel?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Will it hurt anything running leaded race fuel with heads setup for unleaded fuel?

No...just dont run a catilitic(sp?) convertor;)

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what will happen from no lead. Hadn't given it a single thought til I read that acticle. There is probably more to this than meets the eye or they would have went to no lead long ago. If memory serves me Canada banned racing with leaded fuels some time ago but then reversed the decision due to an uproar from racing people. Pretty sure I remember that. A guy down the road is DEIs cylinder head guru so next time I see him I'll find out more. RM

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Real McCoy said:
A guy down the road is DEIs cylinder head guru so next time I see him I'll find out more. RM
I would be interested in hearing what he has to say...I'm sure too, as you said, there is likely more to this than meets the eye:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts