Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The only reason I can see for using lead is, it makes neat pictures if your car is going to be in a magazine during construction. :rolleyes:

I haven't used lead in over 20 years. No failures from properly applied plastic filler.

I wouldn't tack the sheetmetal patches in. Cut them to fit, weld them solid, grind 'em down, and float the area with a skim coat of filler.

Rich

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
rich is right, but it depends on the situation....i would use lead (if accessible) near or on bodylines or edges, otherwise a good plastic filler..

rich: question about taking down welds such as the ones pictured, i have a really really hard time going from your picture 2 to pic 3 without taking down a bunch of the base, do you just not really worry cause its getting a skim coat anyhow

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Eastwood now has a new lead free sandable solder system. I'm thinking about using it since as stated before it looks better in the build pics than putty!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
new2novas said:
rich is right, but it depends on the situation....i would use lead (if accessible) near or on bodylines or edges, otherwise a good plastic filler..

rich: question about taking down welds such as the ones pictured, i have a really really hard time going from your picture 2 to pic 3 without taking down a bunch of the base, do you just not really worry cause its getting a skim coat anyhow
What are you grinding the weld with? We use a cutoff wheel, and just get the weld, then lightly flapper the panel for good adhesion.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I was told by one body man, that lead will make the paint lift/bubble. If true, is it only with laquer or a particular paint?

Thank you in advance to the paint gurus

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
63AKDN said:
I was told by one body man, that lead will make the paint lift/bubble. If true, is it only with laquer or a particular paint?

Thank you in advance to the paint gurus
Well, your body seams.. Q-panel to roof, front window piller to roof are factory leaded so unless your prep is poop it should not bubble. Make sure you sand, clean real well and use a self etching primer..
Paul:beer:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i think a lot of the problem with leading and painting is prep, you use acid for leading so not cleaning it off properly will be a problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts