Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all Pittsburghers, here is what I was able to acquire about recent rumors that PID may reopen....from my source in the know.....

Here is the skinny on PID, as straight from the horses mouth as it can be. Effectively, PID is in terrible shape, and will likely never be opened as a dragstrp again, There are number of issues with zoning and the facility that do no look like they could ever be overcome. The guy that owns PID also owns the airstrip that is above it on the hill. That airstrip is in poor shape too, but better condition, still flat, still "there". I have pictures and videos from PID today, and you would not know there was ever a strip there beyond a little remaining pavement. I mean there are trees that would need removed from the surface.

Now there is this big to do over flashlight drags. The FAA and PennDot (both involved) gave permission for "limited" use of those airstrips for other uses like flashlight drags. The guys running flashlight drags took full advantage of that, booked lots of dates, and filled the place at over $30.00 a car. They (FAA & PAdot) came back to the airports and told them they where overusing the "limited" use clause, and they would be shut down. The one in Zelionople in particular is designated as an emergency divert for Pittsburgh. Effectively, the flashlight drags guys lost their venues.

Now those guys have been scurrying around to find new venues. They have locked in several at Steel Valley, and a few at least at Quaker. I understand PRP was approached and decided to do their own thing (that likely wont work out because that crowd want nothing to do with the owners). none the less, flashlight drags has put out a schedule for this year. There is also some scuttle that the one in Fayette county could go on as Penndot has no jurisdiction there.

The properties associated with PID could be used as they saw fit as long as they had insurance, etc. So, certain groups want to hold a big cruise, reunion, and flashlight type drag as a fund raiser. They had a certain car club also involved. Now as you might have seen, they are in bed with PRP, so that ended. When the Flashlight drag guys got wind of the first group, they looked to that as a new location. For two weeks now, they where supposed to inspect the airstrip facility, but the last I heard, that had been delayed several times.

This is the root of the PID rumors as I know them. If there is anything there, it would likely be on the airstrip, not the original track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know this is an old thread but, me and a couple friends went up to pid to see what was left seeing as i live about 2 miles away. and well kosky that owns it does not want anyone back there as far as i know. so we parked on the old air strip right at the top of the hill and after walking down a dirt road and down a quad trail that lead straight down to the bend in the back entrance road and we were fascinated at how much was still left. and well the pictures that are online that show trees on the strip are incorrect. the strip is actually cleaner than expected. but to all of our suprise we saw some paint marks in front of us that we couldnt make up and sure enough there was fresh pain that said start and there was burnout marks from people we assumed had been racing there recently, so as we walked down the strip we were looking around and there were white dots down the centerline that and then around 1/4 mile there was a finish line with numbers that confused me. they went 150 95 75 and then 55. but after that on the side of the strip there were arrows that pointed to the word generator and about 10 feet away it said light pole. so your suspicions may be correct. maybe something will come back to pid. maybe its just a couple kids lookin for a place to race but ill tell you one thing the only thing they are racing there is full sized trucks because the entrance road has a couple large mud holes. but thats all. i have a picture from my phone i will put up shortly and when i go back next weekend i will take my camera and get more pictures.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
UUMMMMMmm, if I'm correct, Pittsburgh raced all last season as well as this past weekend. And I don't think they're closing. Did you get this old info from the Tedesco's? They own the place. Dave

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UUMMMMMmm, if I'm correct, Pittsburgh raced all last season as well as this past weekend. And I don't think they're closing. Did you get this old info from the Tedesco's? They own the place. Dave
Two different tracks Dave. PID - Pittsburgh International Dragway closed a while back. PRP - Pittsburgh raceway Park is alive and well. There last race of the season was this past weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Sorry for the mixup. Didn't know there were two tracks in the same area. I raced there when it was Keystone. Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to have a program from PID with a pic of 2 black tire marks, caption said "Tracks of a Champion".
it was after a visit by Don Garlits..still have a Class Winner trophy in the backroom,found it years ago.
doubt it will ever reopen,the Yuppie's that run the township would never allow it.
I also walked the track a couple years back and thought it was in pretty good shape,we went in thru a farmtrail where they had paintball battles.
grew up in Mcdonald and know alot of guys who raced there..shame it all had to end.
here's a couple of pics found on the web.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts