Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searching for what could be the last L79 Acadian built. It's a 1966 Acadian Canso Sport Deluxe, Tropic Turquoise, black interior. Sold from McCrae Brothers Ltd. In Prince Rupert B.C. Built July 5, which was the last day of Acadian production in 1966. Only 22 Acadians were built in July, 1966, so this could easily of been the last L79 produced. It wasn't shipped from the factory until July 29th. Options included 4 speed, HD suspension, positraction and AM radio.

This car was last registered in Richmond, British Columbia, in 1989. It could be in another province, in the U.S., or no longer in existence. Any leads appreciated.

Bob

·
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple of pics of this L79 Acadian SD back in it's day. Still had it's resonators tucked in behind the rear wheels. After a little more investigation, I'm pretty well convinced this was the last L79 Acadian ever built.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
i sure had to be one of those cars you just stood an looked at from every angle because of its true beauty.

·
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Bob, I think the color is darker green. The color is Cypress Green Metallic.
Yes, it looks darker, but the GM documentation says 'L' code Tropic Turquoise.

Bob

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A couple of pics of this L79 Acadian SD back in it's day. Still had it's resonators tucked in behind the rear wheels. After a little more investigation, I'm pretty well convinced this was the last L79 Acadian ever built.

Bob
Bob, Those are fantastic photo's!! Love a little slice of 60's history!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bob, I'm not sure how serious you are about finding this Chevy, but you appear to have some details the average guy wouldn't. Is it possible you have at least the first 6 digits/characters of the serial? (If anyone would have or know how to get that level of detail, it would be you, I would think).

Here, Service NB can find the details of a particular vehicle by the first 6 digits/characters. i.e. actively registered, current owner, salvage, etc.
To give you an example I tried using Service NB's online tool to find my own but it requires a plate #. That means a face2face would be necessary without it.

If you do happen to have that level of detail, and haven't already done so (I see you know it was last registered in Richmond BC) you might visit your local BC MV Registration depot with your explanation of why and ask for a VIN search on what you have.
Costs nothing to ask.

·
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have the entire GM documentation, including the VIN. The info that it was last registered in Richmond B.C. came from an Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC) VIN search. They're responsible for all licencing and registration of vehicles in B.C., in addition to insurance. They stated it is not currently registered in B.C. It's difficult to track if it went out of B.C. and really difficult if it was sold into the U.S. I'm just working with a previous owner to try and track it down. When a car has been off radar for 30 years, just about any scenario is possible, including being crushed. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, the value and interest in this car wasn't established like it is today. Thanks for your interest.

Bob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Now it definitely reads like you're interested in finding this particular vehicle. You've definitely beat some bushes.

Since it's not currently registered (in BC) and assuming it didn't leave, have you also considered the 'rusting fields' of Southern BC (you're general area, I believe)? I'm referring to my narrow vision of what I've seen on Rust Brothers, of course. Seems like a popular pass time in the south-central area, as it is in many other areas.

Oh, Hey! Something just occurred to me.....there is a national database of VINs in Canada (at least). I learned this a few years back when I was establishing a new (home-built) vehicle. All VINs stamped by manufacturing have to be sourced from this database. When I went to Service NB to establish the initial registration card, they had the VIN on file already.

Now to really get you thinking, I suspect it's a N.American database because my VIN was Manufacture stamped in the USA!

You'll have to visit the BC Offices of Motor Vehicle Registration or whoever controls registrations in BC to access this information.

Hope that helped some.

·
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now it definitely reads like you're interested in finding this particular vehicle. You've definitely beat some bushes.

Since it's not currently registered (in BC) and assuming it didn't leave, have you also considered the 'rusting fields' of Southern BC (you're general area, I believe)? I'm referring to my narrow vision of what I've seen on Rust Brothers, of course. Seems like a popular pass time in the south-central area, as it is in many other areas.
I don't have much time for Mikey! He has fields of low production Canadian cars, but doesn't appear to have much knowledge about them, or even care. He just cuts them up. I stopped watching when he cloned a 1966 Acadian Canso SD (556 made) into a Nova SS (21,000 made plus a kizillion clones). To boot, it wasn't even a good cloning job. To him, it appears to be all about the money.

Bob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, he's definitely about the money and every episode shows he doesn't think past the next hour or two.
Reality TV sucks but domestic violence carries jail time. I'll throw my emptys at the TV.

So, that still leaves the potential in the N. American VIN database. I know you stated you've been there (BC Insurance) but they might be able to help if you hit the right person and provide the right backstory. It's there, it has to be.

I have nothing additional to offer, Bob so I'll stop now. Best of luck in your search.
Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts