Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new rad and fan setup for my 69 nova. It needs to cool my 700HP 496. Need to know what the largest radiator i can fit in my nova which origanlly came with a 307. Any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
look into the BBC nova.. they had what I believe was a 31" wide radiator.. but since you have a SBC car. you will have to cut the core support for the surface area.. the lower mounts are there. you just have to move the rubber idolaters to the correct spot... then find a radiator cover to match the BBC style

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rad

looking at a 31x19 2 row 1.25" tubes from griffin. Not sure if i should go with the built in transcooler or not? any advice?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used the standard big block radiator by Be Cool in my car. It was a piece of cake to install using all the factory mounts. If you want to do some fab work you can install anything that will fit between the frame rails.

You will get arguments on both sides for the trans cooler lines. My preference has always been to bypass the radiator. I don't want to put any heat in the transmission. I have an 4200 stall with a large external cooler, and deep pan. My trans has never been over 150 degrees. That's around town, in traffic, highway to the track, race, drive home.

I did get the radiator with the cooler lines and just blocked them off. At least you'd have the option.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rad

Mdla thanks for the reply. What is the size of the radiator your running in your car? ALso what fan setup are you using?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rad

Got a good deal by going with griffin directly! 31x19x3 1.25" tubes, twin 12" spal fans, shroud, relays and sensor. Only question is wether to go double pass (inlet /outlet same side) or normal tl/br. Also trans cooler built in or not???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mdla thanks for the reply. What is the size of the radiator your running in your car? ALso what fan setup are you using?
I think mine is only 29 x 19. I have dual 11 inch spal fans. They work great. I have standard inlet/outlet. Oh hind site I'd probably go without the internal cooler, only because I know I won't use it. More room in the tank for water.

It sounds like the griffin should work good for you.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Another option is the Ron Davis radiators. I have one with a Big Block and it's the double pass style. The dual Spal fans pull 3,440cfm and is integrated in a custom aluminum shroud to pull the maximum amount of air thru the radiator. It's 28"X19"X3". I bought it new a couple of years ago and it was just over $1,000. I have the trans cooler in the radiator just incase I decided to use it but I'm running and external fan cooler under the car. You can contact them here if you have any more questions about their products.
http://www.rondavisradiators.com/

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Got a good deal by going with griffin directly! 31x19x3 1.25" tubes, twin 12" spal fans, shroud, relays and sensor. Only question is wether to go double pass (inlet /outlet same side) or normal tl/br. Also trans cooler built in or not???
Thats the same rad I have in my 62. Fits fine. I have a single electric fan, no issues yet. JR

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I use a stock 4 core for a 69 Camaro BB with AC.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Another option is the Ron Davis radiators. I have one with a Big Block and it's the double pass style. The dual Spal fans pull 3,440cfm and is integrated in a custom aluminum shroud to pull the maximum amount of air thru the radiator. It's 28"X19"X3". I bought it new a couple of years ago and it was just over $1,000. I have the trans cooler in the radiator just incase I decided to use it but I'm running and external fan cooler under the car. You can contact them here if you have any more questions about their products.
http://www.rondavisradiators.com/

arent you having cooling problems with the hood on? :confused::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
arent you having cooling problems with the hood on? :confused::rolleyes:
I am, but it's not because of the cooling system, it's because I'm having a problem evacuating the heat from the engine compartment. The other problem may have to do with the rear end gears in that the engine is always spinning at a higher RPM than most cars at the same speed. I have 5.38's in the rear and I need to change those out to the 4.10's.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Chevy/GM-Style Aluminum Radiator
Overall Size: 31" x 19"
Core: 25.625" x 17.5"

Jegs universal fits perfect between the frame rails & I cut the left side of the core support opening to let all the radiator get air see picture works awesome with two fans one in front and one in back

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
thats the rad i used in my bbc 74 nova and works great, i run a mechanical heavy duty flex fan, id stay away from the double pass, had the same idea but only good for oval track, as for the cooler, id stay away from that too, better off with a big external trans cooler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts