Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, on my way home, I was making a left turn at a traffice light at normal speed and I broke the lower solid heim joint on the back of the ladder bar
(the lower one)..Is this a common problem and why many folks do not like ladder bars for the street application...
This could have been a serious accident had I been driving fast and in a sharp curve when this joint broke.
I ordered a couple new ones from Summit, just in case it happen again ....

TooManyReels
Eddie

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
HHHMMM what are you useing for a locating devise? or are you running them with leafs? If you are using a panhard are your mounts weak?

Id replace the solids for some GOOD heims.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running just the ladder bars...The cross link bar that came with the kit is what is installed...I wanted to add a panhard bar but my local fabricator said I did not need it..

Now I'm thinking about a Wish-bone set up, but again this is a street car and not a drag car....So I reallt don't know what is the best to install at this point...The break was right at where the threads transistion to the bolt though at the heim joint.

Regards,
Eddie

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Heim joint quality is most likely the problem.

A lot of "Named" brand are foreign made.

I was spoiled as I had access to aircraft heim joints from the local Air base in Chas SC!!:devil:

Also running a fixed joint could cause more problems.

Quality in the fight for price has come down drasticly.

I would talk with Alston http://www.cachassisworks.com/

and pic there brain.

IMO
AL

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I agree with Al,use the best quality hiem you can get .Your life may depend on it.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Ladder bars aren't made for street use. When you hit a bump with one wheel is puts extreme stress on the rod ends and the axle brackets. The weakest point will break first. It is trying to turn your rearend housing into a giant sway bar that will not twist. They work good on a drag car because all the body does is move straight up and down on a smooth surface. Truck arms work like ladder bars but they are very close together at the front where they connect to the frame. Put a 4-link under it or go back to the stock leafs. It will work much better.
Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts